Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Battery powered circular saws

Hybrid View

Re: Battery powered circular saws

There are actually three different saws that are cordless 18v. They have a trim saw, the regular size cordless circular saw, and the 24v model. The trim saw I don't like and it only good for that, trim work and cutting 2x4's and 2x6's. The regular size cordless saw has the power and the ability to cut through anything your regular corded saw will. The 24v is the same as having a very good worm drive circular and will cut through anything and last a long time.

I've built my last two barns with nothing more than two sets of dewalt cordless tools. I can't say enough good about them. I have six batteries and two chargers so I am never without a fresh battery. I hate having a noisy generator going all the time, running cords everywhere, etc. and this was certainly the answer for me. Plus it is so nice just to carry the tool and not have to fuss with cords and such, especially when you are on top of the building.

Hmmmm. I think it may be a better idea for me to go with the cordless saw w/ multiple batteries.

I've either got to buy a generator, and load that into my truck, unload it at my property, and then haul it back home, unload it back into the garage each day that I work on my pole barn, or go with the cordless and avoid all the hassle.

I will only be cutting 2x lumber, so I think it may work out well. Eventually, I will be having electric brought out to the barn, so the need for a generator will be far less. I know at home, I will always grab my cordless drill/screwdriver over my electric one 9 times out of 10 -- with 10 being the time I forgot to charge up my batteries. [img]/forums/images/icons/wink.gif[/img]
    :: D A V E
    :: g a t o r b o y

While I usually agree with Richard 100%, I have to respectfully disagree on this one .... I've never yet seen a battery that charges itself from absorbing electrons from the air (sorry, couldn't resist). So you have to have power somewhere nearby to recharge them.
    I've just found ... in my case where I'm out in the boonies working by myself ... that running back and forth for batteries is more time consuming. Yeah, I suppose I could buy a multiplicity of batteries, but they're not a tax deductible item for me and are VERY expensive. Plus, I've never seen a battery tool yet that has more torque, for any period of time, than a powered tool. When I was building the foaling pen, I took the 18V saws out there to cut the top of the 4x4's off. Had 2 batteries. Made it 1/2 way around. Went and got the genrator and saws.
    Generator is noisy? Can you speak louder please? Sorry, it's one of those days. I don't really notice the generator noise, becuase it has a good muffler and I have safety equipment on ... which includes safety glasses and hearing protectors.
    The generator powers my power tools, my compressor (for my nail guns) and the radio. It idles when I'm not drawing juice.
    Whatever works for you ... but I'll stick to my (nail)guns on this one. The portable tools are great for occasional use but not for serious "putting up a horse shelter" use.
    it's a shame that common sense isn't

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
    you have to have power somewhere nearby to recharge them

[/ QUOTE ]

I have a charger that plugs into my cigarette lighter on my truck. If I start the day with fully charged batteries (I have four) and put the first one in the charger when it's dead, etc., I don't usually run out of power. [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

I read some time back that Dodge was working with the military for a TC truck that would have power generation ability. Suppossedly it would have batteries, and could operate on the batteries in "quiet mode".

Suppossedly, they were looking at a takeoff on the idea for a construction work truck. I have no details to back that up though. I think it was in a magazine that got thrown out long ago.

It is a cool idea though... But, it's kinda like having a pto generator on a tractor; your putting hours on your regular engine...

I was watching a show on TV the other day and they had a guy on that had took an old VW bus and rigged it with batteries and covered the roof with solar collectors. They said it put out 4500 watts, the solar collectors were good for 15 amps. That might be overkill but if you were building yourself a good sized house and barn over a period of time it might be worth it to not hear a generator.

Gatorboy,
    If I recall you have both a tractor and a skid steer. I'm assuming you have both because they both do some things better than the other. I would apply that same logic here and get both the generator and the cordless saw w/multiple batteries. You can get the saw first and if that is all you end up needing then great. If you find you need more power then go get the generator. You will find uses for both of them in the future.

My first cordless saw was a 9.6 volt Makita with around a 4" saw blade. I now have a 18 volt Makita with a 7" blade. Believe it or not the 9.6 volt still gets used every now and then. That thin and tiny blade works great for cutting FRP in commercial kitchens. I also have two generators, a 7500 watt Dayton from Graingers and a 3000 watt Honda. The little Honda is my favorite as it is one of their quietest models. It has the idle feature which throttles down the engine when it is not under load.

Here is the link to the Honda generator that I have.

I have the DeWalt combo pack. I always did pretty good with the two batteries, as you said, when I remembered to charge them. I have done some fencing work, cutting 2x4 and 4x4. The batteries lasted fine.

Since I am using the set more out in the field though, I did buy a third battery. I also picked up a 12v charger. That has worked out fine. My brother in law is a plumber, and has been using the same setup for a few years now.

I am curious though, how they get the 18V battery to charge on 12v supply. They must run some sort of charge pump circuit in the charger.

I bought a battery saw and drill set with two batteries. I really did not think that I would use it that much. The two batteries are a must and they will recharge before I will drain the other. I can't remember the last time I used my corded drill and only drag out the 7 1/4 circular saw when I have some real heavy cutting to do.

Buy them you will love the freedom. I was going to buy a generator too but never got around to it after buying the cordless units. If you don't have electric at your site then you may want to add another battery.