Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: inline water filter

Re: inline water filter

I put mine after my pressure tanks (2 tanks for more capacity and less pump cycling). My 'solids' are not a taste or look issue, I just wanted to protect my softener. I have a 3/4" outlet from the pressure tanks, so I used 2 filters in parallel because, even though the threads on the filters were 3/4", the actual hole through the filter was 1/2"! This is a situation I have seen on other things like flexible pipes for water heaters, etc.. There is not much sense to use a 3/4" pipe if you only have a 1/2" hole somewhere. Why the manufacturers do so is beyond me.
    Anyhow, I would recommend that you build a bypass with a couple of ball valves (always use ball valves). I find this makes changing the filter elements much easier, even if it looks like a plumber's nightmare. If you want, I could post a pic, but I don't have one handy.
    Anyway, I only have to change elements every three months or so.

Daryl,

When installing a filter before the tank you will never loose pressure, since the switch is likely after the filter and the pump is trying to satisfy the switch. Even if the switch is before the filter you will not notice any difference in the house.

What will happen is the pump flow is decreased (could be considerable over time) and the amperage will go up pumping against the head of the filter. The loss of flow is more critical to the pump and IMHO much more costly repair. The new tanks have a bladder which empties all the water out and flushing this when you change filters is a better idea.

I would advise putting in a 3/4" gate/ball valve, inline Y-strainer, 1" cartridge fliter, and another 3/4 " valve in that order after the tank and switch. That way you will catch all the course materials in the Y strainer then the finer materials in the fliter.

Carl

Darly:

I'd look at two pre tank filters, one coarse and one fine. with differntial gauges across them so you can tell when they need changing. The fines in your water should determine the micron size and type of the filters you will require. It would be nice if the filter canister was so set up that it coud be backwashed to the drain as this would extend filter life.

As pre pressure tank filters plug up and allow less flow you can lose house pressure if the rate at which you withdraw water exceeeds the volume allowed through the filter and you drain down the pressure tank.

A centrifugal pump will draw less amperage as the discharge pressure increases and the flow volume decrease's. It will draw the least amperage pumping against a closed valve. It draws maximum amperage when pumping at maximum volume against minimum head. That is aside from the startup draw.

Egon

Egon,

You're right [img]/forums/images/icons/blush.gif[/img] higher flow = higher amperage and deadheading the pump will be lowest amperage - I must have been having a brain cramp..

I have installed many water systems in past jobs and always put the filter after the tank/switch when one was needed so to protect the pump system since many homeowners just aren't concerned enough to check or regularly change these filters.

When the warranty on the pump system is 3-5 years this was the major reason to install in this fashion. Also it is a lot easier to solve a customers problem "we're out of water" by having a consistent installation procedures for pump versus supply side plumbing.

Carl

Carl:
    Your installation method makes a lot of sense in the contex you describe it.

Egon

Take a look at www.TEKSUPPLY.COM I found their filters to be much cheaper than I could find loacally.

MarkV

Now that I know where to put it, I need to know where to buy it. Does anyone have any online bargin sources to suggest?

This is what I would suggest for sand and grit:
    Inline Sand Separator Whole House Water Filter 20 GPM [PWFSS10] - $54.99
    and I would install prior to the pressure tank.