Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: inline water filter

inline water filter

Have a well that is about 2 years old. Water is fine. Was thinking about putting a filter in for removing small dirt/rock from getting into wash machine, hotwater heater and anything else that it may harm. I bought 1 at Lowe's that hooks into the water line. My question is, do I put it before the pressure tank or after it.

Thanks
    daryl

Re: inline water filter

Daryl,

Mine is after the pressure tank, but before the Hot water heater. I have to change the filter cartridge about every three to five weeks.

Lowe's carries about 4 different types of cartridge. Since our water is pretty filled with sediment, I get the smallest micron one, but it means I have to change it more often.

Frank

Morning Daryl, as Frank said, they go after the pressure tank. The biggest reason for this, is that most filters you get have a 3/4" (or 1/2") inlet and outlet. Most lines from the pump are 1" or better. While reducing the line size for the filter won't stop the water from coming, it will affect the smoothness of the pressure tank and switch operation.

And, as Frank said, you will have to change the filter fairly often. The finer the filter, the more often you'll have to change it. And, remember that your pressure will drop a bit. Doesn't usually bother anything, unless you have pressure problems to start with.
    <font color="red">So others may live</font>

My last house was on a lake and we pumped water from it the first five years we were there. I put a paper in line filter and then a charcoal filter to try and improve the quality of the water. The paper filter would start to clog in a few days and the pressure in the house would go down.

To solve the problem I installed a second pressure tank. So the system had a pressure tank before and after the filters. I also added a courser filter to get rid of the larger particles before the other two in line filters. It really helped but I was happy when I could hook up to town water.

guys,

I can see your point about the 1" line, however, I did not want to get the bits of shale that came out of my well inside the pressure tank.

So I used 3/4" to 1" reducers and put two inline filters before the pressure tank. The first is a particulate and the second is a carbon.

Works great not pressure problems.

Fred

When you did this you experienced no change in pressure at all?
    I had heard that you would not. If that is so before the pressure tank would be the best place to put a filter.

Thanks
    daryl

If the filter is before the tank then as it clogs then the pump will have to work against this resistance. If the filter is after the tank then there will be a reduction in house pressure as the filter clogs. I would rather have the loss of pressure in the house then over work the pump. Again the two tank system will solve the problem.

Daryl,

I did this from the start so I can't tell you how much impact it would have. However, I have plenty of pressure no need for any more.

My setup is a 1hp pump down ~650 feet and then ~250 feet lateraly to the pressure tank. All of this is 1" except at the filter housings. Which is 3/4" and then 3/4" to the pressure tank. The 3/4" line is only a couple of feet so I don't think it adds much to the drop.

Fred

Tim,

I can see your point. Two factors make it ok in my case. I don't use much water and I stay on top of the filters.

I will say that the canister filters A gets expesnive and B is a pain to switch every month. So I am looking at going with a backwashable filter setup. Cost is ~$500/ filter but they last much longer (years), and are more effective. Likely pay for itself long term.

Fred

<font color="blue"> So I am looking at going with a backwashable filter setup. </font color>

That is the way I went in the new house but I would still put it after the pressure tank. If it malfunctions you will know it.