Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Paso Fino's?

Paso Fino\'s?

I'm about ready to get my first horse since teenagerdom, a mere 25 years ago... I have somehow managed to get intrigued by Paso's. I've not been around them, but there are a few 'ranches" (that's Paso for stable) nearby that I am going to start visiting next week, plus a multi ranch "open house" on 10/12. I've yet to hear a cross word about them. Anyone out there have an opinion, good, bad or otherwise?

PS We will be getting at least 2 horses, likely a 3rd - pony for the kids that visit...
    Dob
    FKA Dobber30052

Re: Paso Fino\'s?

What are you planning on using the horses for? If it's just general riding then they are a good animal. They can be high spirited at times and a little tough to train. Their gaits though are superb. I would also get a 30 day return policy or at the very least a week or two. And not just for a different animal but a full refund. I see too many people go and ride an animal at the place they're buying from and then get them home and it's a different story.

Whoa Dobbin! A Paso in general is a very spirited horse for you to begin with. If you're gonna get a pony anyway, start off slow by getting it first. I'd highly recommend a Pony of the Americas gelding. Large enough to ride an adult with excellent demeanor. Let him learn you the ropes at least a few months and then go shopping for the Paso. Second only to a well bred Arab in beauty and spirit. Trust me, I've seen too many people get in over their heads quickly in these situations. Our beloved POA is known by kids for miles around. He's been the star of many birthday parties and been dressed up like a clown, a goblin, Uncle Sam, and Santa. Never requires a lead rope and we usually ride him with no tack at all. Start out with one of these type of animals and later on you'll appreciate the spirit of the Paso instead of being intimidated by it.

General use: yep, general riding, perhaps a few short "pack trips", like an overnighter, nothing like a hunting expedition or the like. I would definetly get a 30 day (or so) trial. I've learned with other animals and such that if a breeder or most other sellers (unless it's a "distress" sale) won't give you something like that, they are probably not worth buying from.
    The "brio" is one of the attractive things about them to me. I would like to think that the trial period might help to alleviate the "over my head" (duly noted, btw) issue mentined below.
    Dob
    FKA Dobber30052

To be perfectly honest with you the best horse you can buy is a quarter horse. They are the quietest, gentlest, breed that there is with regard to riding horses. Very few of them are hard to get along with. Get a western pleasure, halter bred type horse. They are the best for their minds. They are bred even more to be more docile and get along.

Excellent advice LazyJ. Actually, I/we are starting back in on the slow side. My wife DOES NOT want a "spirited" horse. in fact she would prefer and old trail horse, like the ones used for tourists out west - nose to tail, know the trail and its stopping points, and forgot how to lope or canter years ago! My vet has an old mare that he is going to send to us for 3 months, should be a help to "get back in the saddle" with.
    I will also look into the POA angle, I am not familiar with them.
    As mentioned above, the brio is one source of attraction. My first horse (pony) was a Welsh, mean sob. There were 5 horses in the pasture when we got him, within a day, he had managed to essentially beat the snot out of all of them and although the smallest (save 1 Shetland) he quickly became the leader of the pack. Granted, I was much younger then!!! This will not be an impulse decision, of course, that may require a great deal of self discipline, and I have been known to break once or twice!
    I am really looking forward to this new (revisited) hobby/lifestyle!

<font color="red"> Second only to a well bred Arab in beauty and spirit. </font color>
    Only true until I get my Paso! [img]/forums/images/icons/wink.gif[/img] [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img]
    Dob
    FKA Dobber30052

hehe.. you might beat me on beauty but I breed for spirit. Got a real keen eye for it. Amazes me how many seasoned horsepeople can't tell the diff between wild/untrained and spirited/willing with a few rough edges. Beauty's a good attribute also and Paso's definitely got lots of that.

CBD, you sound just like my vet! Every time, even from the time before I ever mentioned a breed, he has pushed the quarterhorses. More laid back, easy temperments, less problems... That's what he's sending over for a while. We may just wind up with a QH after all... for the wife, at least...
    Dob
    FKA Dobber30052

Dob,
    Just want to throw in my two cents. If your goal is trail riding, then absolutely go with a gaited horse. Trotting horses are fine for working cows, but for pleasure riding they leave a great deal to be desired. After a few miles on a trail, I think that most people would agree. We have a both a paso &amp; a walking horse and wouldn't trade either for the world. As far as "spirited" horses go, Paso's are just like any other breed. Some are more difficult than others. My 9 year old daughter has no trouble at all with our Paso (10 yr old mare). It's a matter of training and handling. That being said, never ride without a helmet. I notice that you're from Loganville, GA and I wonder if you went to the Paso Fino Grand Nationals in Perry, GA a few weeks ago? The shows are a great way to get to know a breed. By all means go on a demo ride and resist the temptation to buy the first horse you ride.
    Sorry for the length of the post, hope it helps!
    David

A quarter horse is certainly not a trotting horse. For working cattle you also have to alot of miles in the day. Quarter horses are also the #1 breed by all other horses combined so they must be doing something right. I don't think they'd be the #1 breed in the world if they weren't such a good horse. I certainly like Paso's and other gaited horses and they are smooth but no means are they any better than quarter horses in sum. Most trail rides are at a walk anyway. The only place a gaited horse beats a quarter horse is in the trot. Loping and walking there's not alot of difference. Also have you ever ridden a western pleasure or a show trail quarter horse? I guarantee there's no difference at all in the gaits there between a quarter and gaited horses. If you have any doubt they are showing the trail world championships on rfd-tv.