Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Paso Fino's?

Re: Paso Fino\'s?

Thanks for the pocket change. [img]/forums/images/icons/wink.gif[/img]
    I did not get to go to the Nationals as I only learned of it shortly before it happened - too much going on. And, it's not but about 2 hours from here. [img]/forums/images/icons/mad.gif[/img]
    I almost got gipped out of the Open house this weekend - one of my nephews decided (about a week ago - give him a break he IS from Alabama [img]/forums/images/icons/laugh.gif[/img] ) to get married this weekend. Luckily, the wedding is not until 6pm, so I'll get to spend most of the day there. At least 5 local ranches are represented, maybe more, it might be that the 5 on the flyer or the "sponsors". I'm really looking forward to it. Fortunately, I don’t have any closings (I'm a RE broker) until later this month - that will help suppress any impulsive thoughts I might have!
    Dob
    FKA Dobber30052

Hang in there CBDoc, your opinions/facts are not going unnoticed. Between you, my vet, and my wife, we will likely wind up with one. My wife noted, "If Doc Tolliver says to get a QH, then the only horse I'm carrying to him is a QH - you get what you want!" [img]/forums/images/icons/blush.gif[/img] [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img]
    My mind is far from made up, or so I think. Of course my (best) friend commented the other day as I was rambling about getting a horse, "...I know you.... you'll have a Paso before it's all over with..."
    We'll see...
    Dob
    FKA Dobber30052

Hold Up Doc,
    It sounds like you think I've said something bad about quarter horses; I haven't. I simply want to point out that there are lots of factors to consider in purchasing a horse and the blanket statement that "quarter horses are the best you can buy" is simply wrong. Having owned and ridden Quarter Horses I'm very fond of them, in fact my earliest memories of horses were Quarter Horses, but as far as pleasure riding goes now, not being exactly young anymore, I prefer gaited horses. I don't know what your definition of a trotting horse is, but if the gait between a walk and a canter is called a trot, and requires the rider to make efforts not to get pounded up and down; as far as I'm concerned, that's a trotting horse. I have seen and ridden Quarter Horses that have been trained to have a smoother trot, it is nonetheless still a trot. Further, simply because there are more Quarter Horses than others doesn't make them the finest. A similar statement would be that because there are more Honda Accords and Ford Tauruses than Mercedes and Jaguars, then the Ford and Honda must be superior vehicles. Not true. Numbers don't make quality. I don't want to get into a flame war, but the fact is, there isn't one horse that is better than another; just different or better suited to the intended use. As I said before, Quarter Horses are for working cows and there is no animal in the world better suited to that type of work; slow deliberate movement in the herd, explosive speed to chase down a calf; Quarter Horses are truly remarkable. The truth is, my intended use is riding trails at a speed somewhat faster and more interesting than a walk and being comfortable at the end; this means a gaited horse (whether Paso, TWH, foxtrotter, whatever) is a more suitable mount for my purposes than either a Quarter Horse or Morgan or any other non-gaited horse that I can think of. Again Dob, look at lots of different animals, understand what YOU are going to use the animal for and select based on YOUR needs, not a blind reccomendation from someone over a computer. Thanks.
    David

LazyJ drives a Porsche.. no Accords in my driveway, hehe

No I'm just pointing out the facts. A trotter is a specific horse. Miss. foxtrotters, etc. That's certainly not a quarter horse. All horse have a walk, trot, and lope. Shoot I don't care what a person buys with regards to trail horses. They'll all work for that. But for a person that is just starting out a nice, quiet, easy-going, slow quarter horse would certainly be my choice. You may suggest another breed and someone else may suggest something else. It's up to Dob to make that decision. Most people go riding to enjoy the scenery and take it nice and easy. Yes there sure are alot of people as well that want to get on a horse and go and no way can a quarter horse keep up at to what the walking and gaited horses do. But I've also worked alot of those horses and been around alot of them that needed a heck of alot of work to control. I still think for his first horse that you can't beat a quarter. After awhile the quarter may be too docile and he may want a more spirited and faster trail horse. Then by all means go for one of the more spirited and faster riding horses.

I think it's pretty hard to compare horses to cars as well. You see more of the cheaper cars because they're cheaper. That certainly isn't the case with horses. You can get one as cheap or as expensive from one breed to the next. All things being equal with price, etc. more people choose a quarter horse.

Talk about <font color="red"> spirit </font color>!
    [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img]
    All opinions and facts (and the wisdom to know the difference [img]/forums/images/icons/wink.gif[/img] ) are appreciated.

I do kung fu, and have for several years, as a lead instructor and mouthpiece for the school, I am often asked, what is the best martial art? My answer is usually something like: Well, of course Hop Gar (my style) is! If I didn't think so, why would I be doing it??? Followed by a laugh, then a query as to what they are looking for... If it's sport, not us, if it's passive evasion, or something like the old Shaolin mantra don't fight unless you have to, if you must, don't hurt, if you must, don't mame, if you must, don't kill, if you must, well it pretty much stops there - that's not us either. Different strokes for different folks &lt; that saying pretty much applies to everything, without it we'd all be bored to tears.
    FWIW, my reasons for considering a Paso, in no particular order include: I think they are beautiful creatures, I like the smaller package (even though I'm 6'1", but slim at #160), brio - seems like a well raised teenager (full of energy, yet "controlable" - maybe not the best analogy, but say compared to a free range raised Mustang - I'm gonna stop rationalizing here, I know I'm getting into training to a certain extent...), and gaited - seems to me - why not? - unless you have specific needs such as driving cattle as mentioned above.
    This will be a pleasure venture. I have zero interest in showing. Nothing hardcore one way or the other. Pleasure riding, maybe a light pack trip once in a while, tooling around hunting camp off season. My trail riding will not be all walking either, to me that's kinda like sailing, I like a little more "excitement" and goings on. Not that a gale in a sailboat is not exciting, been there done that too! (Sorry, Hazmat, if you're lurking)
    Anyhow, thanks again for the insights and <font color="red"> brio </font color>!
    Dob
    FKA Dobber30052

<font color="blue"> My trail riding will not be all walking either, to me that's kinda like sailing, I like a little more "excitement" and goings on. Not that a gale in a sailboat is not exciting, been there done that too! (Sorry, Hazmat, if you're lurking) </font color>

Cought ya! Similar to how you guys have different horses for different uses/enjoyment. I / My family has different boats

38' Freedom Sloop (single masted sailboat for you stinkpot drivers)
    17' Boston Whaler (90 HORSEpower motor -- keeping on topic [img]/forums/images/icons/tongue.gif[/img] )
    2 Kayaks
    Assorted hard &amp; soft dingies

My true love is sailing, but it is fun to whip my buddies around on a tube behind the whaler. The kayak is a great way to quietly explore the coast and be a bit more "at one" with nature.

Oh yeah and my handle "Hazmat" is the name of the Whaler. The sailboat is Duet which I think is a little boring. The previous sailboat was Steadfast which I liked the name better anyway.
    Hazmat

Only have a minute... But, we got our 1st - should make "everybody" happy... [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img]
    Our vet "lent" us "Cindy", a QH mare to (re)acclimate us to horse ownership. She's sweet, but needs some work.

BTW, Paso open house was awesome!!! I'm virtually sold on them. They put me on a couple, including the one that was the most "hot on the ground" - most fun I had all day! No pics of them (Paso's), but Cindy is in the attached...
    Dob
    FKA Dobber30052