Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Blueberries

Blueberries

Anyone grow blueberries?

I'm starting to prepare some ground for berries - adding sulfur to reduce pH from 5.4 to <5 and adding a lot of organic matter. I'll be planting next year at the earliest, but may wait until 2004 if soil isn't ready. Other than reducing pH and increasing organic matter is there anything else which should be done to prepare the ground? My soil is a well drained sandy loam.

Which varieties are recommended for best flavor? I'm in central NY with a zone 5 (almost 6) climate.

Who are good suppliers of plants?

Re: Blueberries

I'd also be interested in hearing about any mail-order/wholesale outlets for blueberries...planting a blueberry "orchard" is also on my list of projects to do someday soon....

Not an expert on what blueberries require, but my land is wet and clay-like, which I would have thought would be no good for blueberries, but suprisingly wild-blueberries seem to thrive on my land (I probably mow down 1000's every year [img]/forums/images/icons/ooo.gif[/img] ) in my fields. SInce the wild variety do well, I am hopeful that the more "domestic" varieties will do OK too.

I thought about using my wild ones to harvest from, but they really don't produce much and the berries are very small and few and far between. I stopped by a local pick-your-own place and couldn't beleive how much a well cared for domestic variety of plant will yield...one of their plants probably yielded more volume of berries than 100-200 of my wild ones... [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Those small, wild blueberries have probably about 10 times the taste of a fat, fleshy domestic fruit. My parents used to pick wild ones and make jam - fantastic. They did have to make their own pickers though, as the gaps in the tines of the store bought ones were to wide.

Another really good, easy to grow berry is the Saskatoon. We've had great success with them here. Jams, syrup, and wine are the usual products.

Andy,

Be sure to install some kind of netting to keep the birds out. they love blueberries & you won't get any unless you protect them. My grandfather used to have a huge blueberry patch. He walled it off with 7' high chicken wire including a "roof" nice setup because you entered thru a door & didn't have to keep messing with a net. He always put sawdust around the bushes.
    Hazmat

"Starks" used to be a good catalog for high-quality fruit trees and bushes.
    Fishman

AndyF
    You're near Millers Nursery where I got most of my High Bush Blueberries. The plants I got from Millers had much better roots than the couple I got from Starks. Mix some peatmoss with your soil and mulch with pine needles. I've done as well with fall planting as spring planting. Planting several varieties wil extend you're harvest some. I haven't seen millers catalog lately but what they offer should do well for you. Blueray has been the most productive for me.

particleman

Thanks for the memory jog . . . I'll second that Millers is a great source also.
    Fishman

I am also going to be planting blueberries. I just clear-cut a 2 acre south-facing hillside for the orchard. I'm planning to get 200 bushes in next year.

If you are looking at larger quantities, then I would recommend Fall Creek Nursery in Lowell, Oregon. But they are really aimed at commercial growers and have a $1000 minimum order. Try talking to your university farm extension service. I'm sure that they can help you find a supplier.

Ever get any blueberries from Nourse Farms? I've been very satisified with the raspberries I've purchased from them and would prefer to order from an East Coast grower because they're closer and the climate is similar to mine.

Andy,

I believe thta blueberries are considered bog plants and thriev in poor wet soils. Sounds to me like you have the perfect land for blueberries.

Here in Michigan the blueberry growers I know even flood there blueberries during growing season.

Dave