Well I picked up a copy of American Woodworker at the Depot last night to read about table saws. After I read that Article, I read the rest of the magazine. As I was reading, I was thinking hmmm, I could do that. Folllowed by I want that tool [img]/forums/images/icons/tongue.gif[/img] .

The wife & I want / need to furnish our house. This will happen after we are done with all the painting etc. I'm thinking I could build some/ all of it and save some money. Although I'd like to have more of both, seems that I have more free time than money. Our taste is more casual style which should be simpler construction.

Potential near term projects:
Dining room: Table, chairs, hutch, buffet
Living room: coffe table
Kitchen: Stools
Family room: TV stand, end tables
Bedroom: Dressers & bedside tables

Potential future projects:
Furnish kid's bedrooms (Don't have the kids yet)
Finish & furnish third floor playroom

Grand Finale:
Kitchen Cabinets

My grandfather built quite a bit of furniture. Some of which I have today. Unfortunately he is no longer around to help me. He was the quintessential yankee, saving every scrap of wood & using the ugly pieces where they wouldn't be seen.

So do you guys build furniture because it is cheaper, or because you can do a better job / get want you want? IE: Is it a labor of love or money? I know I will have to invest big bucks in tools.