Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Woodworking: for Love or Money?

Woodworking: for Love or Money?

Well I picked up a copy of American Woodworker at the Depot last night to read about table saws. After I read that Article, I read the rest of the magazine. As I was reading, I was thinking hmmm, I could do that. Folllowed by I want that tool [img]/forums/images/icons/tongue.gif[/img] .

The wife & I want / need to furnish our house. This will happen after we are done with all the painting etc. I'm thinking I could build some/ all of it and save some money. Although I'd like to have more of both, seems that I have more free time than money. Our taste is more casual style which should be simpler construction.

Potential near term projects:
    Dining room: Table, chairs, hutch, buffet
    Living room: coffe table
    Kitchen: Stools
    Family room: TV stand, end tables
    Bedroom: Dressers & bedside tables

Potential future projects:
    Furnish kid's bedrooms (Don't have the kids yet)
    Finish & furnish third floor playroom

Grand Finale:
    Kitchen Cabinets

My grandfather built quite a bit of furniture. Some of which I have today. Unfortunately he is no longer around to help me. He was the quintessential yankee, saving every scrap of wood & using the ugly pieces where they wouldn't be seen.

So do you guys build furniture because it is cheaper, or because you can do a better job / get want you want? IE: Is it a labor of love or money? I know I will have to invest big bucks in tools.
    Hazmat

Re: Woodworking: for Love or Money?

I enjoy woodworking strictly as a hobby. It's a great outlet, kind of like tractoring, but more enjoyable than the tractor when it's raining/snowing out. I have built some furniture (see attached). Usually I take on a project because we have a specific size/style/design in mind and cannot find it commercially. I only invest my woodworking time in pieces that will become "heirlooms" at this point. Maybe when retired I'll have more time for everyday furniture but that's a long way off for me. I design and build with quality in mind so it takes me a while to get something finished. At the rate I work, it would take me years to get through the list you mentioned.

As a budding novice, I would recommend picking up a table saw but not a high dollar one. Maybe one of the benchtop models. Do your floor project then take on a simple end table or something with relatively simple joinery. You'll know during that project if it's "in your blood". If so, let the equipment build up begin. There is a lot of equipment you can get but it will be easier on your wallet to buy it as your demands dictate [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Here's the pic Curio
    Rob

Rob,

Great job on the curio. Also, thanks for the common sense advice to start small. Sometimes my plans are too grand [img]/forums/images/icons/tongue.gif[/img] .

Attached is an example of and end table I think I could build for less money.

The Ethan Allen price is $390 it measures 21" wide X 27 deep X 23 high. I'm guessing that the materials would be less than half that.

Anybody got a wag on how many hours are involved to put something like this together? I figure shop for wood on the weekend, then I should be able to finish it in a couple of weeks working an hour or two in the evenings.
    Hazmat

Oops wrong picture

Hazmat

I am no expert on building furniture, but I would guess that unless you WANT to build the furniture, in the long run it is much cheaper to buy it than to make it...especially if you don't mind second-hand/almost antique furniture.

My brother-in-law makes furniture for a living, and he does a beautiful job, but to be honest, I have no idea how anyone can afford to buy the stuff he sells...I know he charges a fair price based on the amount of time he puts in, plus materials (he is not getting rich at it), but sometimes some of the pieces he makes end up costing 5-6-7-8-10 thousand dollars for a nice desk or a nice tall chest of drawers...absolutely beautiful stuff, made from the finest cherry, but he puts hundreds of hours in to each piece (and thus the expense). I can go to an antique shop and by stuff that is just as nice (for me) and get 4-5 pieces for the cost of one of his.

On the other hand, if building furniture is a enjoyable hobby...go for it!

In my case, I did it because it was my job [img]/forums/images/icons/wink.gif[/img] But I've been away from it about 8 years now, and am looking forward to easing back into in retirement.

Of all the things on your list, beware the chairs! For something that looks so simple, they can be a real headache. I've made several sets (at work), but always bought my own [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img] .

EJB, I know exactly what you mean on the high priced, handmade furniture. I cannot see paying that kind of money but I guess people do buy Rolls Royces when a VW accomplishes the same task.

I agree with you also on shopping the antique market. That is another one of our passions and we intend to collect period furniture over our years.

In the end, we'll have an assortment of new, commercially made furniture for "everyday" stuff, some home built "heirlooms" and some antique originals. Hopefully the variety will add to the homey feeling we want to impart on our kids [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
    Rob

Building furniture is a " Labour of Love". Try it and see how you feel about it. Remember that the real quality stuff isn't produced on the first attempt. It takes awhile to gain the touch, learn how to finish etc.
    I've built a few things but still consider myself in the pre novice stage.

Egon

I do it because I love it, but I also love the way the money I get for it helps pays the bills.
    Argee [img]/forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

I've made about a half dozen pieces, and I'm really not saving any money if I place any value on my time. If your time is free, I guess you come out ahead. Until you consider your equipment costs, then you're in the hole again. BUT I end up something that people ooh and aah over (maybe they're just being polite?), and say things like "You MADE that?" And my wife really likes to furnish the house with things that you can't buy anyway. A certain size, a certain wood, maybe matching something we already have....

I'll spend several hundred dollars on wood, hardware, special router bits, etc for each peice of furniture. But I'll also spend several hundred hours on each peice. I'll try to attach a picture of vanity I just finished (the picture shows it about 80% done, but I don't have a newer one). It took about 300 hours. And as a weekend woodworker, I'm booked with projects through retirement. I worked nights and weekends on that vanity for 9 months. I sure enjoyed it, but not to save money.

I tell my wife "If you find want you want in a store, get it, cause I can't make it any cheaper".