Thread: Frugality and the pursuit of soap.

Frugality and the pursuit of soap.

Hello all! First time post, short time lurker here. Anyway, does anyone know of a method, or have a link that will explain how to use the small remaining useless bits of soap that always accumulate from soap bars? I am speaking specifically about saving all the small pieces and somehow melting or mixing them together to make a single bar. If it matters, we generally use Ivory soap. Thank-you!
    Semper ubi, sub ubi.

Re: Frugality and the pursuit of soap.

We always just mash the little piece on top on the new bar after you have both pieces wet. After a few uses it becomes one.

Gary

We mash all the pieces together in warm water.

I do it the way Gary does. If your intent is to be frugal, spending the energy needed to melt the soap remains into another bar will cost more than you save in the cost of the soap. Not very frugal [img]/forums/images/icons/frown.gif[/img] [img]/forums/images/icons/frown.gif[/img] (Post reminds me of a story about an eccentric miser named Hetty Green. Worth $80 million, took her son to a free clinic or hospital where she wanted him treated for some leg infection. They refused because they new her worth and he eventually lost his leg and had to have it amputated. She was mentioned as saving all her soap shavings and putting them together to form new bars. She had been listed in the Guinness book of records as the cheapest person in the world)

Cambridge, NY, in the beautiful foothills of the Green Mountains.

There are a few things you can do-
    1. Get a pump bottle, either new or recycled from dish soap, etc, put the tiny pieces in the bottle (break the pieces smaller if needed), add water to consistency desired, shake the bottle and you have liquid hand soap.
    2. take 2 terry wash clothes, placed together, fold 1 edge of one in towards the other cloth, then fold the opposite edge of the other cloth over the folded edge of the 1st cloth, sew the 2 clothes together on 3 sides that are NOT folded. put all your soap pieces into the folded pocket and wash away. Remove the soap to launder the washcloth.
    3. break up the pieces even smaller, put in saucepan , add a little milk and on a low heat, melt everything together. pour into recyled plastic cookie trays , let sit for about a week to harden, then use. Hope this helps.

We use the pump method earthmother mentioned. I just ran into the bathroom to see if there was a source on the thing, but all it says on the container is "Soap Saver." We got it in some long forgotten catalog. Anyway, the bits and pieces go in there, and presto! Liquid soap in a neat little package next to the sink.

Pete

"We always just mash the little piece on top on the new bar after you have both pieces wet. After a few uses it becomes one.

Gary"

I didn't think there were so many people out there that are as frugal as I am! I do the same thing Gary does. When the soap is wet, it sticks together real good and the next time you use it it's all one piece.

We save them, then put them in an old sock and hang them on our trees in the early fall. This is when the deer are starting rut and the bucks pick your expensive fruit or ornamental tree to rub the felt off his antlers, ruining the tree. The scented soap, along with the human scent, seems to help deter them from rubbing on our trees.