Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Yard lights

Yard lights

How many of you have a light up on a pole or the top of a building that stays on all night and why?

We have a yard light on the side of the garage, but I only turn it on when I need it, like when we have company and they need to see in order to find their car. Otherwise, I prefer to have it dark. That's part of the beauty of country living as far as I'm concerned. The only light I want to see is the moon and stars. When I lived in the city I had to keep shades on the windows to sleep at night. Too many of these yard lights staying on all night is making the country more like the city!

If you have them on to ward off thieves then I don't see how it does any good. It doesn't do any good to have a light on at 2am if you're not awake and watching for someone anyway.

Re: Yard lights

Mosey,

I like it dark too. It's nice to see the stars. I live in a town that likes to sell it's rural character, yet has streetlights on main street (where I live).

Often we are walking the dogs at night. I like it when we are able to duck down a side street and enjoy the sky.

Light pollution is a hot topic lately. Many cities and towns are passing ordinances & paying $$$ for less light pollution. IE streetlights that only shine down etc.
    Hazmat

I have a sodium light that comes on automatically at dusk and stays on all night. It's at the top of the gable end of my garage, over the driveway. My house was built in 1890, and the garage before that (it used to be a blacksmtih's shop). The highway was put in after the house and passes real close to the garage - the driveway is about 30' long. One of the trees in my front yard has a bad scar where a drunk driver hit it. I like to think that my light serves as a guide. Also, except for the summer, when I get home at night it is pitch black and once I close the car door I pretty much find my way to the house from memory.

I've spoken to my closest neighbors and the feedback has been positive. If it hadn't, I would have probably put it on a timer to shut off around midnight or something.

I also have a sodium light on the gable end of my shop, it comes on at dusk and off at dawn. When I leave or go to the barn or shop at night it enables me to safely make the trip without tripping on, or running into something. It doesn't impair me from looking at the stars and if I really want it dark, I walk to the other side of the building or into the woods.

I live on 20 acres with a lot of trees between the neighbors, if my neighbors have a yard light, I've never even noticed. Guess I'll have to go look tonight.
    Argee [img]/forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

I have two spot light's one on the barn that comes on buy sensor the switch is on all the time i also have one on the garage that i shut down when turning in for the night
    EDT

I'm with Mosey on this.
    Such yard lights wouldn't be so intolerable if they had shades that would limit the visibility of the lights from a distance. Not much sense to throw light in any direction other than down towards the ground. The yard lights that turn on when there is motion detected are more useful in warding off strangers, and more useful in knowing that something is not right (yard light on, must be something there that caused it). When these all-night yard lights were first marketed by the utility companies, they were a gimmick to sell more electricity. I remember the marketing strategies well. Now they are mostly pollution to those of us who don't want to be reminded that your place is over there on the hill. We'd rather not be reminded of it. But there are a few (not all of you that have yard lights) that have a "look at me, I am over here" mentality. My suggestion, is get a motion detector to turn them on, or get some good shades to limit the broadcast of light to your own property. Just an opinion, and I am respectful of others that have their own. [img]/forums/images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

since all my neighbors (all WAY too close) have yard lights on their garages, it wouldn't make much difference if I didn't have one .... my place would still be visible. Fortunately, it's on the road side of the garage so doesn't bother me in the pasture (I like to walk out there at night sans lights - good night vision) and doesn't shine in the house windows.
    Also ... I have to have it on anyway ... I like to have my flag up 24/7 and flag etiquette says a flag should only be up after dusk if it's lighted.
    it's a shame that common sense isn't

I vote with the motion sensor crowd. A light on all night does nothing but advertise that there is a place there. If you need light to see to walk across the yard, use a switchable light or a motion sensor one.

Harry K

I tried several motion sensor lights. The trees moving with the wind would turn them on. Creatures of the night also turned them on. I feel a yard light uses less energy than on that's turning on and off all night.
    Argee [img]/forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Has anybody found yard lights that are solar powered and come on only when it is dark? I would like to add several more lights around the maintained area of my yard (the light comes in handy when I want to make sure the puppy goes to the bathroom). I just don't want to dig ditches allover the place to wire up lights into trees and poles, etc. It's tough digging around my place. [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
    TD