Thread: Old Fords make good food

Old Fords make good food

I have an old Ford truck sitting up on the hill. I mostly use it for hauling firewood etc. Its not inspected so I don't run it too often. Anyway, I went out to start it and it was going
    rer-rer-rer, then I smelled gas. I checked under the hood and found that a few spark plug wires were chewed though.
    I also noticed the fuel line was bitten. So as I was pumping the gas pedal trying the start the thing, the sparkplug wires were jumping around sparking whist gas was spashing on the block. Needless to say, a couple more rer-rer-rer, could have been my last moments on earth [img]/forums/images/icons/frown.gif[/img]
    Then........ A couple daze later I fixed the wires and put on a new fuel line. The old beast started right up and I drove it around the pasture a bit only to see smoke pouring out from under the hood. I looked there and found the radiator had a
    hole (with teeth marks) in it was drained. So...while fixed this I noticed that there were scratch marks on the oil pan and other parts (you know how old vehicles become caked in greasy stuff) and there was NO greasy oil stuff on the ground.
    This means someting was EATING this stuff [img]/forums/images/icons/tongue.gif[/img]
    I'm not 100% sure, but there's a groundhog hole near there and I think it might be this horrid creature eating my truck.
    The funny thing is, he ain't dead. I saw him the other day.
    I just wanted to share this strange (but true) story with you all.
    Shawn

Re: Old Fords make good food

My uncle parks his car in a metal building with a dirt floor. He recently discovered some of the wires under the hood had been chewed. He does not have groundhogs in his area and his mechanic said rats and mice will chew on electrical and rubber parts of vehicles. My uncle put mothballs somewhere under the hood and the chewing has stopped. The problem with doing that is that his car stinks like mothballs. I asked him wouldn't it work just as well to put the mothballs around the edges of the building in the dirt but he insists putting them in the car is the only solution so I make sure I don't ever go anywhere in his stinky car!

I don't know if mothballs would deter a groundhog but if you are looking for a solution and don't mind the smell it might be worth a try.
    Chris

Thanx for the advise Chris. I read somewhere about mothballs but I also have dogs and cats that roam all over
    and I don't want them to get sick on the mothballs. As for groundhogs, I usually use a 12 gauge [img]/forums/images/icons/smirk.gif[/img]
    -Shawn

No doubt about it. Lead will get the job done! [img]/forums/images/icons/wink.gif[/img]
    Chris