Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Standby Generators

Re: Standby Generators

Ben,

Please do not take the questions below the wrong way [img]/forums/images/icons/blush.gif[/img] , the set up looks great, but as a fire protection professional, I have to ask the following. Any concern for having the unit next to a combustible wall? Do you plan on installing some 1 hour rated sheet rock between the unit and the exterior wall ? Do you have a CO detector in your house??, I assume you have a smoke detector ?

Tom

Re: Standby Generators

Not taken wrong at all. [img]/forums/images/icons/smirk.gif[/img]

Concerns? Always. (Firefighter of 10 years now) Much thought went into placment of unit. I had tossed around placing it in the carport, on the other side of the wall. It would be outside, but out of the sun and rain. Wife would also have to watch for it when parking car. [img]/forums/images/icons/shocked.gif[/img] Still, the only thing inbetween generator and combustable wall would be vinyl siding. Would I have installed it in someone elses house the same way? Of course not. But I will be present when the unit is running, and have monitored unit everytime it has run. I also have no plans to run it in auto mode. My biggest concern so far was the venting of the unit. You probably gasped when you saw the ducting. It does not get as hot as you would think. It gets pretty warm, but not hot like you would think. I can keep my hand on either of the ducts. The unit forces air through one side and out the other. That fresh air is mixed with the Natural Gas exhaust in the last chamber before it exits the unit. Therefor the exhaust gases are cooled by the incoming fresh air. (and alot of it). The exhaust vent actually serves no purpose, and the generator itself moves much, much more air through the room that that little fan could.

Precautions as of yet are smoke detector in generator room that is interconnected to the ones in the house, and ABC fire ext's in generator room, and a couple in the house.
    Nothing is fire proof. Nothing is more dangerous than not being aware of potential hazards. I have just as much concern about drying clothes as I do running this generator.

I also think you should have to pass a test before you can purchase a household (18gage) extension cord.

-Ben