Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Standby Generators

Re: Standby Generators

We have a Generac 30KW generator, powered by a 300 CID Ford truck motor that runs on propane. The previous owner said that it would run for a month on the 1000 gallon tank. I have had occaisional problems with the automatic transfer switch. It is interlocked to insure that the line side is disconnected before the generator side is switched in. On the last outage, the line side didn't fully release. The generator was running (burning up propane) but not feeding power. [img]/forums/images/icons/frown.gif[/img] The repair guy will soon tear the switch apart to find out why it didin't release the line side.

I wonder if I might be better off with a manual switch?

The automatic switch, if all works as it should, would eliminate any effort required to switch over. I don't mind a manual switch if I'm home, but if I'm not there I want my wife to not have any problems.
    Gary
    ----------------------------------------------
    Hey! Aren't you supposed to be working?

Just a note from USATODAY.
    NEW ORLEANS (AP) — Home generators used by people who lost power after Hurricane Lili have led to more than 60 cases of carbon monoxide poisoning in Louisiana, including one death, state health officials said Sunday.
    Lili blew through the state on Thursday, flooding thousands of homes and badly damaging others with 100 mph wind that toppled trees and power lines.

By midday Sunday, some 107,572 homes and businesses were still without power in coastal Louisiana.

Many people were using home generators until power lines could be repaired. The generators run on a variety of fuels, most commonly gasoline or natural gas, and odorless, colorless carbon monoxide is a byproduct of the fuel burning.

"Some of them don't realize the risk involved," state health officer Dr. Jimmy Guidry said. He added that generators should be placed outside, away from windows or other openings that might allow carbon monoxide to seep in.

Flooding from Lili's powerful storm surge had largely receded by Sunday but the cleanup — and damage assessment — continued.

Statewide, the number of shelters, which peaked at 98 immediately after the storm, was down to six, with about 450 occupants, said Louisiana National Guard Col. Jay Mayeaux.

The tally of flooded and wind-damaged homes might would likely take days, he said.

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />

Many people were using home generators until power lines could be repaired. The generators run on a variety of fuels, most commonly gasoline or natural gas, and odorless, colorless carbon monoxide is a byproduct of the fuel burning.

"Some of them don't realize the risk involved," state health officer Dr. Jimmy Guidry said. He added that generators should be placed outside, away from windows or other openings that might allow carbon monoxide to seep in.

[/ QUOTE ]

Maybe it's just me, but I've never seen a "portable" generator that runs on NG or propane. I'd bet that all the problems were caused by gasoline or diesel powered units. But just the same, being aware of where the exhaust is going is an excellant idea.
    Gary

Gary, I just installed the 15kw Generac unit at my home. I don't find that it is loud at all. In fact, I'm impressed with how quit it is for an air cooled v-twin.
    You are correct about the muffler. It's a very large automotive type muffler. I don't know how much research you've done on this unit, but the Generac V-Twin is one heck of an engine. Have you seen this unit in person?
    While Generac can be tough to get information out of, they do offer a wealth of information on their website in pdf format.
    I looked at almost everything out there, and ended up getting this one because it was the most cost effective. (and I can put the whole house on it.--HVAC is a geothermal heat-pump)
    If you have any questions about this unit, feel free to e-mail me. After many repeated calls to many dealers, and Generac themselves, I think I've asked everything there is to ask. Hope this helps

-Ben

P.S. You can buy portable generators that run on NG/LP, but the fuel conversion runs the cost WAY above the gasoling models.

This http://www.electricgeneratorstore.com/04456.html is where I was going to buy the unit. They include the transfer switch. I spoke to them and they said I could get the switch and get the generator later. They'd deduct the price of the switch.

I need the switch so the electricion can do the wiring, but don't need the generator at the same time! That can wait a few months until the house is complete.

I did see this note in the spec sheet on the site I referred to "As equipped, generator will produce 13,000 watts. If you intend to run LP configuration at 15,000 watts, please contact Generac for required kit." What's with that?
    Gary

I also priced them over there. I purchased mine from Norwall Power Systems (www.norwall.com) and got the unit for $200 less than from Kimco. (elecgenstore) Total price was $2995. (the link you posted was for the 12kw(4456) unit, not the 15kw(4390) unit)

That is odd that they would break up the switch from the generator. They come from Generac as one unit. Shipped on the same pallet.

Ok, the deal with the LP kit. As shipped, the unit is ready to run on Natural gas with a capacity of 13kw. It has been run, tested, and calibrated at the factory. If you want to run it on LP, you need to rejet the regulator, recalibrate, and up the wire size. From what I understand, the LP jet comes with the unit. (I have not found mine...it may be with the manual, but I did not see it) The wire upgrade kit has to come from Generac. Norwall gave me a number to call and order the LP wire kit at no charge. So far, the wire kit has not arrived. The generator arrived last friday (the 11th, it was ordered the friday before that.) The wire kit was ordered Monday the 7th, and hasn't come in yet. In the generator itself, the wiring leaves the genhead, and goes to a breaker before it leaves the box and goes to the outdoor connection box. The breaker is a 60amp and the wiring is #4 for each leg, #6 neutral, #10 ground, and 4 small wires for controls. Then from the outdoor connection box, there is a 30' alumaflex (filled with the same wiring) that goes to the transfer switch. From what I understand, the LP wire kit consists of a larger breaker (70amp) and new harnesses from the generator to the transfer switch. I am assuming the new wire will be #2 instead of #4.
    All components are of high quality, you won't be dissapointed with that. The load center, and all breakers are SquareD, and I assume the transfer switch is also. I'm not using the "load center" as I needed to power more than 12 circuits. I installed a 30 position breaker panel next to the transfer switch, and I come out of the transfer switch itself and hop over to the input lugs on my breaker panel with #2.

...I wish I had a digital camera.

I wish you did too!
    Gary

Wire kit from Generac came in yesterday. It is exactly what I thought it would be. Both cables from the generator to the transfer switch, and a 70 amp SquareD QO main breaker. It also came with very explicit instructions. Generac really did their homework making this thing as easy as they could to install. ...I'm still yet to find the LP jets, but since I'm running Nat Gas, it's not a burning issue. LP is my "planB" incase 13kw is not enough.

As soon as I get my exhaust routed, I'll be able to run this thing. Can't wait to be done.

FYI, if you do buy it, get an extra oil filter or two. They require you change the oil filter after the 3 hour break in procedure.

I don't know if you've bought yet, but another thing to consider is the RPM of the generator motor. We bought a 15kw Generac with an automatic transfer switch. This unit runs at 1800 RPM. You can stand next to it and carry on a converation. My wife didn't even hear it running from inside the house. The 3600 RPM units are much noisier, and need more noise suppression to run quiet. We're very happy with our unit.