Thread: West Nile hits hard

West Nile hits hard

Well West Nile has been overwhelming our area. I thought I was safe as we vaccinated everybody and spray our horses with mosquito and fly spray every few days. I came home tonight and couldn't find one of my broodmares. Her baby was up but didn't see her so I knew there was trouble. Found her at the other end of the pasture on her side and she wouldn't get up. Called the vet and he came out and sure enough West Nile. It doesn't look like she's going to make it. We got her to the barn and have put alot of meds down her but she's worse now than when we found her. Vet gave her about a 10% chance to make it.

What he said to really pay attention for is any kind of paralysis or what you think is lameness. If you notice your horse walking funny at all, think she is lame on a foot, etc. call your vet. My vet has been treating west nile around the clock and has been getting four to six new cases everyday. Doesn't look good.

Re: West Nile hits hard

That's terrible, Richard. Good luck. Are humans in your part of the country being affected (yet?)?

Yes we've had quite a few cases. I believe there have been five deaths.

Richard,

Sorry to hear about your mare, it's a terrible disease.

Steve

Only five equine deaths in my county. I say only, I expected worse this year but the new cases seem to be slowing down. C'mon frost. What's the booster period on the vaccination? I did all but the foals in April and I've read both 3 and 6 month boosters are required but my vet says to wait till next spring. I'd NEVER doubt my vet's advice.. just curious what y'all are doing? Seems Hurricane Lili just rolled into AR, maybe she'll blow all the skeeters away! Where you at cowboydoc??

Booster period is one time/year. The vet told me that the cases that are being reported are only the tip of the iceberg. He said the CDC only reports the confirmed cases. In order to have a confirmed case the owner has to have a blood test done which costs $75 for the test and then the vet fees. He said 90% of the people aren't even doing the tests unless it is for insurance reasons. He est. that at least 75% of the cases aren't even being reported.

I have two places, one is Iowa and one is in Idaho. Working on buying a ranch in Montana. Anyone from MT interested in running it?

Cambridge, New York in beautiful Washington County, next to Vermont

I'm sorry to hear about your mare, Richard! I sure hope she makes it!

I've vaccinated, all my horses, and I know there's a booster. I know how you take care of your horses, so I'm sure that all of yours have been vaccinated. So, I guess the vaccine isn't 100% effective!

I don't know of any equine cases of West Nile in upstate New York, but I certainly am worried now that I know that the vaccine isn't 100% effective!
    Rich
    "What a long strange trip it's been."

Thanks Rich but I lost that mare and one of my good roping horses. The others seem to be recovering but we'll see.

Cambridge, New York in beautiful Washington County, next to Vermont

Richard, I'm sorry about your horses! I hope the others recover! Keep us posted, I'll be thinking about you.
    Rich
    "What a long strange trip it's been."

Richard i'm also sorry good luck we have been nervous all year we also had shots given hope all works out
    EDT