Thread: Pressure Washer buying

Pressure Washer buying

I am in need of a pressure washer. Like most of you, I am above the "homeowner' usage of most tools, but I'm not a commercial user either, that "prosumer" category.
    The advice I've gotten so far indicates:
    to get a unit in the 2500 psi range - noting the "cleaning units", a little prior experience seems to confirm this;
    to get a Honda powerplant (GX series?)
    and to make sure it has a Cat or Comet pump (not a "wobble plate")

Price is always a concern.
    Thoughts?
    Dob
    FKA Dobber30052

Re: Pressure Washer buying

Not sure if you've seen this thread, but there's quite a bit of thought in it.

Kindof ironic this topic comes up as I just used my $80 version to wash the front of my house yesterday (algae on the porch, dirty windows, webs/nests under eaves etc.)

Hope this helps...

Thanks Ranchman. Actaully, I had looked at that thread, and it does have lots of good info in it. I just thought there might be some new insights, as well as building CBN's archive!

Maybe, the "cheapie" route is my best option. It seems that the pump is the first to go, unless it's cat etc. In some models you have a great engine (like Honda gx) and a cruddy pump. A couple of years later (or whenever), you've got a nice engine and a pump that is too expensive to replace. Kinda like my Yardman mower - Kohler engine is great as the rest of the mower falls apart, very frustrating. In this vein, perhaps a briggs/tecumseh + lower end pump makes the whole thing disposable (cheaper + less long lasting), and may well meet my sporadic needs...
    Decisions, decisions....
    Dob
    FKA Dobber30052

Or you could do what I did. Buy a cheap pump with a Tecumseh engine. Pump still works fine but engine has had it.

I have been looking at a 2500psi, 2.5 gpm unit with a Honda engine at Lowes for $400. I think its a Generac. I think it has the cat pump.
    Alan L. - Texas
    North of Mustang
    South of Bugtussle
    On the Banks of Buck Creek

Or better yet, just fumble around long enough and somebody will GIVE you one! Yep, got a freebie! A friend got screwed by a contractor - PREpaid him $3k to do some work, painting etc while he was out of town for a few weeks. He came home to find an unpainted house, a pressure washer, and a couple of ladders. I got the pw! Generac, 6.5 Honda GX, 2000 psi, 3.5 gpm. Can't beat free!!
    Dob
    FKA Dobber30052

[img]/forums/images/icons/laugh.gif[/img] We are kind of in the middle of all this, since we bought a pressure washer at a farm auction for three bucks. It had a pump broken from freezing which I replaced. When I tried to pressure wash the buildings it wasn't enough pressure at it's rated head of about 400 pounds. [img]/forums/images/icons/crazy.gif[/img] A friend loaned us his Honda/Cat combo 2500 pounder (more or less) and it did the buildings just fine. [img]/forums/images/icons/cool.gif[/img] Our 400 PSI washer is perfect for washing equipment, cars, stove pipes, you name it, and it has a nice tank for mixing soaps and chemical cleaning aids that can be metered into the water stream. [img]/forums/images/icons/wink.gif[/img]
    CJDave