Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Puppy named Houdini

Puppy named Houdini

I have a fairly new puppy (about 5 months) and I'm having trouble keeping her from escaping my fenced area. The primary reason that I fenced in my back yard (about 2 acres) was to be able to get a dog for the kids. The dog is a Rhodesian Ridgeback (about lab sized soon) and she is an escape artist. The fence I put up is 5 feet of non climb horse fence with 3 rails (2 x 6) I also have several gates in those 2 acres to allow for me to get my tractor in and out. The problem I have found is that she is jumping through the top of the gates. I was wondering if anyone knew of a good way to make those gates "hot" without requiring me to wire the whole back yard. I also have young children and don't want to have to worry about them either. [img]/forums/images/icons/confused.gif[/img]

[img]/forums/images/icons/confused.gif[/img] Any suggestions would be great. I curently have tied some twine in that area but it's only a matter of time before she'll chew through that.
    TD

Re: Puppy named Houdini

Hmmm,

Don't mean to sound like one of those self righteous persons, but did you know anything about RR's before you got one? Are you kidding us? Make the fence/gates "hot"? For a dog?
    My RR is a little over three years now and there are still situations I won't expose him to. A puppy shouldn't be left to amuse itself by keeping it locked in a fenced in area, especially one as smart and independent as a ridgeback. Independent means they were bred to think and react for themselves, not like your typical hunting dog that was bred to work as a team with its owner. They were also bred to chase things tirelessly, whether it's a lion (what their original job was), a rabbit or the roof of a car over the crest of a hill that catches their eye. They aren't the kind of dog that you open the door and you and your dog go walk to the mailbox together. Not unless she's on leash or you and her have spent much time obedience training and she's "on command" to heel or stick close by.
    My advise would be for you and your kids to spend some time with your puppy and tire her out and then keep her somewhere where there isn't so much stimuli to arouse her curiousity to wander. Aleast for another couple of years. Electrifying your fence will only cause a smart dog to dig under it.
    Unfortunately for RR's, they are becoming the "flavor of the month" for dogs and many people don't realize the "attitude" these dogs have.
    Good luck for you and your dog.

Fred

Forgot to add, RR's aren't the type of dog you want to leave alone where your kids' friends could walk in on her on your property. They are very territorial and have a strong guarding instinct. Her's should be starting up in about 5 more months.

<font color="blue"> They were also bred to chase things tirelessly, whether it's a lion (what their original job was), a rabbit or the roof of a car over the crest of a hill that catches their eye. </font color>

Fred, I agree wholeheartedly with what you say, not just for RR's, but for all of the sighthound breeds. They need a well-structured environment, which includes good chain link fencing (minimum 6 foot) and a lead when they are not enclosed. Their instincts to chase are so strong they can be gone at the drop of a hat. For sighthounds, "obedience" usually takes second seat to the coursing instinct [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

At this moment, I am being loved up by a Greyhound, and am being studiously ignored by an Ibizan Hound.

Fred, I have two Beagle/lab mixes that are the same way. These guys see something they want to chase, there after it. If they cant go over, or through a fence, they will go under it. I have to keep an eye, or an ear on them at all times. Luckly they bark first, then chase, so I get a little warning. [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
    Paul Bradway

"stuiously ignored" <font color="blue"> </font color>
    It's funny how most of the sighthounds don't really care if you are around or not, at least that's how they act. Here's a pic of my boy Dart when he was about 11 months old in all of his arrogant glory [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img] He wasn't looking at someone, that's just where he wanted to direct his attention even though I was kneeling right in front of him. He has lost his position between him and my female Presa (who is 8 months younger) so he does like to stick close to me in the house now, but he still has "that" attitude. Six ft. fence is definitely the way to go until he realizes that he can get under it.
    Funny too how most of your sighthounds don't bark while giving chase, but most of your scenthounds do. Maybe because they were usually used on open land where their owners could see them?
    Hope we aren't getting too far off topic here, I know there's a pet forum.

Fred

hey, where'd my attachment go? let's try this again.

<font color="blue"> his arrogant glory </font color>

Yes, I'm used to that look, or should I say the lack of one [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

I just started a sighthound thread in the Pets forum, so we can keep things in their proper place.

You need to get your dog under control. These are good size dogs and they need to be trained not confined. I have a Giant Schnauzer that is boundary trained and an adopted five year old that is in training.

Yesterday a buck ran across the dogs free area. No fences just training. The Giants took off and chased the deer to the boundary that is my neighbors property. At that point the only barrier is that I cut the grass at about six inches and my neighbor scalps his.

They knew they were not to cross the line and stopped and watched the deer run into the woods. My two year old knew she was due a treat and came running to make sure I didn't forget to reward her behavior. It takes a lot of time to train a dog but a well trained dog is a pleasure to have around.

If you solve the gate escape, the dog will just find another way to get out.

TD,

You have gotten some well intentioned advice in the form of some tough love.

We've got two labs, 1 pup (7monthes) and one older (7 years). As much as we all want to let them roam the back 40, the little guys need to be confined when not supervised. This either means a crate in the house or building him a proper kennel (chainlink sides &amp; top over a concrete floor). This also means if your children are young, you need to supervise play time.

We've tried to leave the little guy in the fenced yard, he simply entertains himself by chewing on the deck railing or grille hoses, the arborvite, or the final straw the house itself [img]/forums/images/icons/mad.gif[/img] So he is crated while we are at work.

He gets a walk in the morning &amp; evening and is free to roam the house if someone is home. He also gets play time in the backyard (supervised) in the evening. He seems content with this schedule. And there is much less destruction [img]/forums/images/icons/tongue.gif[/img] .

Oh and obendience school is a great idea, dogs need to socialize with other dogs, even if you home school the obedience part. The little guy just started last week. We skipped level one as my wife had tought him the basics &amp; started with level 2 which is obagility. (Obedience &amp; Agility training). Kind of fun as he gets to walk the plank &amp; thru hulla hoops etc. Kind of takes him to the next level as he has to perform the commands with the distraction of 6 other dogs in the same room.

The key to a well behaved dog is that you have to be more stubborn then them. It takes a lot of time and energy which is tough in today's world.

Good luck &amp; have fun, he should be a valued family member for years to come.
    Hazmat

Forgot to attach a pic. These are the boys in Acadia National Park (Labor day camping trip). The black one is Radley (the pup). The yellow one is Wilson. Radley slept on my head in the tent [img]/forums/images/icons/frown.gif[/img]
    Hazmat