Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Puppy named Houdini

Re: Puppy named Houdini

Fred,

Thanks for your response although you might have worded it a little better as you came across self righteous indeed. Some assumptions were made on your behalf as well. Let me make it clear here I did countless hours of research on this particular breed before getting her. I'd like to think she would not have a better opportunity to grow up one happy puppy with the environment that we have the ability to provide her. I have two friends who have full grown RR's and other than them these are the only Ridebacks that seem to be around in my area so I wouldn't really call it the flavor of the month but......

My intention is not to torment the dog but really to provide her 2 acres of which to run as opposed to being shut in a very small kennel type area. As far as digging her way out - that would be impossible with my severely rocky soil conditions. She has already tried and given up very quickly.

I talked to the head of the Ridgeback Rescue association in my state and SHE suggested that I hot wire the fence. I might be wrong but I'm guessing she knows more than you and I put together. I have spent quite abit of time reading up on how best to nurture the puppy in the most responsible way I can. With that said - good tip on the guarding instincts I have read that this should happen around 10 months or so. That particular trait is one of the reason that this breed is the one I selected. We won't have any problems with kids friends walking in on us as we live way out in the middle of nowhere. I appreciate your response and will do the best I can.
    TD

TD,

I know this still doesn't answer your question about how to electrify the gate, but anyway. Have you thought about one of the invisable fence systems?

You may be able to run it along your current fence & bury it at the gates. Saves you from having to dig in your rocky soil. My inlaws have had good luck with their setup. Be sure to keep a fresh battery in the collar.
    Hazmat

Hazmat,

Good to see you over here on CBN as well as TBN. Apparently my question struck a nerve. I am preparing to pour a large pad which will make a terrific kennel for the puppy. We are having great fun so far. She too, likes to chew anything she can get ahold of. My post was a hopeful way to avoid having to put her in the kennel during the day while we are at work as well but it appears that this might really be the only way to accomplish the task. She is constantly at my side while I work in the yard but I've noticed her checking out the neighbors and watching the tail lights of the cars on the road (1000 ft away down the hill). We are scheduled for some obedience training soon and that will help me. I'm certainly not an expert in this department and willing to listen to any suggestions (preferrably those given a little more kindly).
    TD

Hazmat,

I have thought about the invisible fencing systems. They are great. My brother in law just had one put in for his two Shitsu puppies. Fortunately for him his yard is only 6000 square feet. The part of the yard I'm trying to allow her free reign is about 2 acres. This might be a bit more money than I'm willing to spend. I guess I'll have to go your route. It's funny that you mention this though as I got a bit of flack for mentioneing hot wire. Isn't the invisible fence more or less the same thing? Again my ultimate goal was simply to allow the dog more room to roam during the day as I hate to keep her "caged" up. I guess I need to be more concerned with her safety which means that I shouldn't even consider letting her stay in the back yard during the day.
    TD

<font color="blue"> The part of the yard I'm trying to allow her free reign is about 2 acres. This might be a bit more money than I'm willing to spend. </font color>

It is my understanding that the electrical guts of the system are what cost the $$$ &amp; that the wire is pretty cheap. You don't have to buy the invisible fence brand wire. Don't know what you do have to get, but I think it has been discussed on TBN.

<font color="blue"> My post was a hopeful way to avoid having to put her in the kennel during the day while we are at work as well but it appears that this might really be the only way to accomplish the task </font color>

I know how you feel. For some reason the little guy just doesn't understand when I tell him "I'll leave you out in the fresh air to play in the grass with your brother and swim in the pool if you'd just stop chewing on the darn house" Hopefully with time we'll be able to.

For now he really doesn't seem to mind the crate at all. Even when we are home, he is sometimes in it when I don't feel like watching him.
    Hazmat

Hazmat,

We are living in the same world. I have taken to putting her in her crate when I just can't keep an eye on her. That is definitely one thing I have learned. When she gets in trouble it is, of course, my fault for not watching her every move - just like my kids. Even if I can't let her run around all day in the back yard I'd sure like to let her run out there when we are home and busy cooking dinner, etc. I can't have her in the house all the time right now as my kids are very little and she gets very excited whenever they are near. I bring her in with me at night when the house is quiet and all of the external distractions are gone to sleep. Eventually though our goal is to have her in the house all of the time with us.

I'll have to re-read that thread on TBN. I'm sure I saw it but wasn't too interested at the time. Now i'm definitely getting more interested. [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img]
    TD

Hi Todd,

<font color="blue"> I have thought about the invisible fencing systems. </font color>

Since you have been in touch with your RR rescue folks, I am curious what they would say about this. Our experience with sighthounds has been that real fencing is the only thing that works. They (sighthounds) have such an incredibly strong instinct to chase, and they can see for such incredible distances (they will see the squirrel at 500 yards that is all but invisible to you), and once on the chase they have absolutely no sense of anything else (roads, cars, you, etc) because they are so focused on the chase, that invisible fencing would be nothing more than a tickle as they start their chase. Shoot, with the gait the sighthounds employ (the double-suspension gallup), they might not even feel the tickle if they were at top speed when they crossed the invisible fence.

I notice you are in the Seattle area. Our Ibizan Hounds have all come from a breeder near there, in LaConner.

First off a puppy shouldnt be left unattended in a yard. Second the Rhodesian Ridgeback is not a good "family dog". This is a hunting dog (use to hunt lions). It is very loyal to its master and can be dangerous to strangers. The dog needs a single master to obey.

<font color="blue"> Our experience with sighthounds has been that real fencing is the only thing that works.</font color>

It probably wasn't clear, but, my suggestion is to use the invisable fence in addition to the real fence. IE give her a little zap while she is contemplating going over the gate.

This of course assumes that she isn't heading full tilt at the gate &amp; leaping it in a single bound aka superdog [img]/forums/images/icons/tongue.gif[/img]
    Hazmat

We leave our two GSP's in a kennel while we are at work. I wouldn't feel at all comfortable leaving them free range over the whole yard. I suspect that this might even cause training/obedience problems.

People all have their ideas about how to raise dogs and I get quite fed up of them telling me I should do this or that. I don't want this to sound like that - these are just my methods.

Dogs need to know who's in control. If they don't, they'll establish a leader amongst themselves. If you have more than two dogs, this can become a serious problem that is dangerous for the animals and you. The dog needs to know that you are the one who decides if, when and what he eats. He needs to know that you lead the way in and out of different areas. My dogs don't go for a run in the field unless I'm there - not only because I'm concerned for their safety, but also for them to associate being able to run free with being in my company. This is probably more important for a hunting breed, but the benefits are there for all.

Here's the kennel that my dogs stay in. It's a 10'x10' with 2 doors and a divider down the middle.