Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Puppy named Houdini

Re: Puppy named Houdini

<font color="blue">The treat method works &amp; fast too. You need to decide if you want to be a walking cookie jar. </font color>

Hazmat, you are right about being a walking cookie jar. Once the dogs are responsive, the love and attention reward is all they really need. I just have the habit of putting the treats in my pocket and rewarding them once in a while. Freyja will nose my pocket if she thinks that she has done something deserving a treat.

<font color="blue"> Freyja will nose my pocket if she thinks that she has done something deserving a treat. </font color>

I've forgotten that I had them in my pocket. Take the pants off &amp; leave them on the floor. Dog remembers they are in there and chews thru the pants to get the biscuit. [img]/forums/images/icons/shocked.gif[/img] [img]/forums/images/icons/mad.gif[/img]
    Hazmat

<font color="blue">Dog remembers they are in there and chews thru the pants to get the biscuit. </font color>

Not good, in the summer I carry them in a pouch on my belt. Freyja had gotten playful and ran by and grabbed the pouch. At close to a hundred pounds she would give me a good tug. That stopped in hurry. It is not good to make the walking cookie jar angry.

TDenny my wife works at petsmart, they sell a solar powered electric fence. It would be considerable overkill to just wire over the gate but this would give you that ability. Hope this helps. I have 3 acres and our Rot/Huskie mix has free roam. He is somewhat boundry trained but he does slip over and play with the neighbors dogs but comes when called. Anyway have a good one Jray [img]/forums/images/icons/cool.gif[/img]
    Just Wishing

jray,

Thanks for the tip. Due to the rest of the suggestions I've gotten I am going to try and accomplish what I think I need without electricity. Again she seems to mind pretty well these days except for when I've got visitors around - which is where I need the most work.
    TD