Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: CAD for House and Outbuildings

Re: CAD for House and Outbuildings

I have a version of the Broderbund software and I do like it for creating floor plans. However, I found the roof designer to be buggy. I can't get it to do what I want, especially when dealing with a "knee wall."

Anyone else have problems with it? Do the newer versions still have problems in that area?

Also, what I think would be really cool feature: the ability to create and import your own furniture/fixtures/appliances, etc.

I received the Home Architect 3.0 software from Broderbund. Looks good but a tutorial would help. I could not find it in the package. Is there a tutorial or manual that I can access?

Just use the toolboard at the top of the screen, after about 15 minutes or so, you will be drawing plans like a pro (maybe a couple of hours). [img]/forums/images/icons/laugh.gif[/img]

I am pretty frustrated with the program. I can see some sample files titled tutorial on the CD but no tutorial executive. So I am trying all kinds of drawings but can not figure out how to make a monitor roof on the barn or draw poles for a pole building. I need some kind of instructions.

I am not sure what a monitor roof is, the poles for the pole barn as far as I know are not available. [img]/forums/images/icons/frown.gif[/img]

When I did the plans for my pole barn, I just used ten inch walls which were the rough dimensions with the laminated poles, purlings and inside finish.

The program itself is relatively easy to use, if you have questions the help button will usually have the answer, if the answer is not there, the program more than likely will not do it.

Just searched the internet for monitor roof, found what I believe that you are refering to. To accomplish this, build the structure, using three buildings, so to speak, mark the ends of the middle buildings with the roof icon as a gable roof, the center section use a ceiling height of whatever you are going to use or put a second story on the middle section, on the ends of the leanto's designate these with the roofing icons as high shed gable wall.

Play around with the widths and slopes to get the look that you want. [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Rough idea of what I am trying to refer to

3D Home Architect 3.0 has a manual -- why didn't you receive one? Where and/or Who did you buy this program?

:: D A V E
    :: g a t o r b o y

To create posts -- the trick I use is to first create a wall, and then set is up as a railing setting the options to have Large Posts and overhead beam. Then I put multiple doorways that are say 8', 12', 16' or whatever wide in the railing. It gives the illusion of having posts and beams.

:: D A V E
    :: g a t o r b o y

When I bought the same program I got instruction books and a tutorial. Made life a lot easier.

Tim

Thanks for the hints, I have to play with it some more. I hate to sit at the computer that long.

From the other comments, now I see why the software was 9.95 - it came with no manual. Was the tutorial separately packaged?