Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: CAD for House and Outbuildings

Re: CAD for House and Outbuildings

I just bought v5.0 ($40) and I HATE IT! If anyone is thinking up upgrading...don't. I'll stick with 3.0.

The new version is totally different -- can't read the older version files, and doesn't even show the room dimensions any longer. I thought upgrades were for improvements.
    :: D A V E
    :: g a t o r b o y

The only thing that I received with mine was the manual, no tutorial.

Is there version 4.0? How is that one?

Yes, there is a 4.0, but I am not sure if it is much different than 3.0.

I have the 3.5 Special Edition 3Dhome DesignSuite Deluxe. It came with six cd including interiors, landscape 6.0, Black&Decker Everyday Home Repairs, 1500 home plans, and the program cd with tutoral. It has an OK manual and I found it not to bad to get going.

It worked for me and I paid $50 at Sam's.

<font color="blue">...I have the 3.5 Special Edition 3Dhome DesignSuite Deluxe...</font color>

I bought the same thing at Sam's last year...

originally I paid something like $50. for version 1 and thought it was the best thing since sliced bread... [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img]... had to buy version 2 when that came out... and being a sucker for this program and upgrades I bought 3.5 @ Sam's for ....~~ $21... [img]/forums/images/icons/blush.gif[/img]

Then I just had to have version 4 because it was suppose to do roofs better... [img]/forums/images/icons/crazy.gif[/img]

I still haven't got the roof section down right... also it's somewhat buggy... you make another floor and decide you don't want it... you exit out to dos level, erase that one file and go back into windows to reopen and continue...

Now they released version 5... I don't know what's new and improved... but hopefully less buggy than 4...

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
    Now they released version 5... I don't know what's new and improved... but hopefully less buggy than 4...

[/ QUOTE ]

Version 5.0 is totally different. Does not read your older files, does not put room dimensions in. I am so upset with Broderbund for not giving out this information up front. They make it sound like it is an upgrade from their previous versions.

If anyone has 5.0 and likes it better than 4.0 or less, please let me know what is so great about it. I've gone back to my 3.0.

<font color="blue">...Does not read your older files...</font color>

Hi Dave,

Version 4 also won't read older files, you have to convert to the "new &amp; improved" format...

on version 3 in 3-D mode, you could drag &amp; drop the windows for the placement... I haven't figured out how that works in ver. 4 yet...

ver. 4 is more realistic in 3-D mode and the textures are very "lifelike" not cartoonish as in previous versions...

The main problem I have with this program and most others, I don't spend enough time "learning" every feature that's available and all those shortcuts like a pro would... [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Well I wrote Broderbund, and Version 5.0 can't read 4.0 or earlier files, NOR do they even have a utility to convert them. This speaks volumes of the product.

The Broderbund stuff is OK. I have Chief Architect and used it to design and build one house. I have Professional Home Design by Punch Software. It works pretty well and is what I am using to design the hoiuse we are going to start in a few weeks. It has limitations (like you can only have three flloors max) but most of them don't bother me. The 3D walkthru is good as is the helocopter fly by/around. Has a nice 2D&amp;3D design workshop for building objects and yo can put just about any texture on an object. It has libraries of objects but they are notional, not well populated (more accurately I'd say unevenly populated) but this is not much of a limitation since yo can build anything or mod there stuff.

The program was under a hundred bucks US at Staples and they have free email tech support as well as free downloadable upgrades and a user group where yo can get help and free designs for things like porches, dormers, etc.

One of the neat features is the large librrary of plantings and the extensive landscaping ability. You can size the plantings as well as age them to see what they will look like in the years to come and avoid stuff like innappropriate shading or overhanging branches or...

Patrick
    "I'm not from your planet, monkey boy!"