Thread: Are CD players in Chevy/GMC trucks MP3 compatible?

Are CD players in Chevy/GMC trucks MP3 compatible?

Without getting into a discussion about whether or not it's legal/ethical to download music from the web, can someone tell me if the factory CD players in Chevy/GMC trucks are MP3 compatible? If so, does it matter what year the Chevy/GMC truck is?

Re: Are CD players in Chevy/GMC trucks MP3 compatible?

Don't know about 2003s but my '99 and '97's were/are not MP3 compatible and they look like the same radio still. Don't know of too many factory stereos doing the MP3 thing.

My 2001 is not compatible either. Downloaded some and burned a CD for my truck. Wouldn't play.
    Mike

Why not just make an audio CD instead of copying .mp3 files to the CD?

I know this question was directed at Mosey, but one reason is the amount of material you can hold. Since MP3's are so much smaller, you can get a LOT more songs on a single disk.

<font color="blue"> you can get a LOT more songs on a single disk </font color>
    I didn't know that. Thanks.

No prob. [img]/forums/images/icons/wink.gif[/img] I did a little math and with your average MP3 taking up about 5Mb, that would mean you could get somewhere in the neighborhood of 130 songs on a single disk (theoretically at least.)

My daughter was fiddling with Jukebox and had used a 700mb cd last week... she didn't quite understand how to "move" mp3 files vs. cd audio tracks... so I sat down and loaded 108 mp3 songs and it used up ~about 400 meg... and there's still room to grow... [img]/forums/images/icons/blush.gif[/img]

My wife started playing the cd on the DVD player... and about ~ 5 hours later non-stop... it was still playing (oldies)... [img]/forums/images/icons/shocked.gif[/img]

I haven't done it myself, but what I've heard elsewhere is the same thing you folks are saying. MP3 files are much smaller. Not only can you get more songs on a CD, it also takes less time to download them. I just got a burner a couple weeks ago, so I have a lot to learn about downloading music, etc.

I put an aftermarket deck in my van ... as far as I'm aware, nobody is yet putting out factory decks with MP3 capability. One of the problems is dueling standards and another is the whole security brouhaha (people ripping off the record companies).
    Anyway ... I've burned 3 so far (cd's with mp3 files) ... and I have to redo a couple (bad ID3 tags). The one I currently have in the van has 156 songs on it. Ballpark, you should be able to get around 10 hours of music on one cd.

pete
    it's a shame that common sense isn't