Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Harbor Freight

Harbor Freight

I have been wondering about the quality and value of the Chicago brand products I see on Harbor Freight's site. I would love your opinion of how quality wise they compare to the name brands such as Porter Cable, DeWalt, etc.

Thanks! [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Re: Harbor Freight

You will get what you pay for.

If you buy cheap, you will get cheap. Sometimes 'cheap' is good enough, and that depends on how you use the tool or whatever you buy. I used to buy tools from Harbor Freight, and still have a floor jack that is really an old faithful, hard working floor jack. Other tools broke the first time out of the box. I used to think I would just buy a cheap set (i.e. tap and die set) and then if something broke I would replace it with something of better quality. About all that does is point out which ones in the set you are likely to use, or to get the correct size.

My tools cover the range from Craftsman to Snap-on to Mac to Husky and also include some stuff from Harbor Freight. The comment above was right - you get what you pay for. But in many cases HF tools/equipment are fine for light duty homeowner use. Since we don't yet have storage on our property, I needed a set of tools that I could carry on the trailer with the tractor. I bought everything I needed for about $120 - wrenches, screwdrivers, pliers, etc. It was a very cost effective way to add another complete set of tools. I also use their small grinders, drill press, and sanders and they have lasted just fine.
    For daily, heavy duty use, I'll go with the other brands, but for smaller jobs the HF equipment has been OK for me. In some cases they carry mfg closeouts that are fine - I bought a Dayton generator from them - 7200w/6500w, 11 hp B&S Vanguard engine for $499. The identical version listed in Graingers for $1349.
    Hope this helps - some folks are adamant about only one brand but to me it depends on usage and what you expect for the price.
    Nick

Ditto to previous replies - I'd add that "hard parts" like hammers and so forth are O.K., as are simple tools such as pliers - they even have brand names (Channel Lock, Vise Grip) at HF. But things like sockets, open & boxed end wrenches may (or may not) have sloppy tolerances that leave your knuckles wishing you'd gone with the Craftsman products for a few $$ more. I got a 3 jaw puller set from HF that is just fine - for me. I have several air tools that are also good, but they are not used daily. Generally, I bought more when I was "starting out" as a homeowner than I do now. If I was going to get, say, a 3/4" or 1" drive socket set, which is huge to me, I would check some of the HF type suppliers because of price. But I wouldn't go near it if I was a 'dozer mechanic.

Socially, I would add that a lot of stuff is Asian in origin, which I don't mind, but some struggle with the human rights issues. I find that Craftsman products from Sears are a very good value and quality for me. Even though they have cheapened their steel in the last couple decades, and there is more socket breakage, I can get another free. But there's the hassle of postponing work in progress, too. My "best solution" was to get cheap impact sockets (for pnuematic impact wrenches) for tough work, as they are thicker and harder to break. These can be found at HF. They don't always fit into close working areas.

Another 2 cents worth...

Thanks for the replies guys! [img]/forums/images/icons/cool.gif[/img] We always try to buy the best quality tools (amongst other things) we can afford. My experience has been as ya'll have stated: "You get what you pay for". I always hold out hope of having great quality for less but it rarely happens.

Thanks again!

I'll throw in $.02 on HF as well - a little bit different than the other guys...

Basically, I have a lot of stuff from them, and overall, I've been very pleased. (I have to respectfully disagree with Knucklehead on the wrench/socket sets - for me, at least, they always fit just fine - cars, equipment, etc. - never had one "slip" and bust a knuckle or break on me - can't say the same with some of the "name brand" sockets I've had. [img]/forums/images/icons/frown.gif[/img] )

I too own some "name brand" stuff too (Dewalt, Milwaukee, Craftsman, etc.) so I'm not saying that everything HF makes is 100% perfect. Yup - I've had things break (a ratchet, a torque wrench, and a carpet knee pad kicker) - but - in relation to everything else I've purchased from them, this is a very small percentage. (BTW, I've had stuff from Stanley, Makita, Craftsman, Skill, and a few other "name brands" break too, so nothing is 100%)

It all kind of depends on the item - on TBN I mentioned I've never had a problem with a lot of the "heavier" equipment (drill press, press, jack, concrete mixer, etc.) - but haven't had problems with the "cheapie" electric stuff either (cordless saw/drill, grinder, etc.)

No doubt that the fit and finish is better (for the most part) on the name brand stuff, and, if I was running a machine shop or doing professional auto repair, some of the tools would probably be switched from HF to something else - but a lot of them would remain HF. (Actually, I'll admit that one of the custom auto places I "hang out" at occasionally actually introduced me to HF and Northern Tools, and yes, the Snap-On truck comes by every so often too, so they are not only focused on buying inexpensive stuff.)

Value is based on one's perspective I suppose. Suffice to say thanks to HF (i.e. saved $$$), I can use the "right tool for the job" 90% of the time where if HF hadn't been around, I'd have to "make something work" when choosing a tool a lot more often, which is often harder on the tool, the operator, and the thing being worked on.

Good luck!

Yer always respectfully disagreein' with me, Varmint!

That's why I said may, or may not. I don't have any, but I am glad to hear that tolerances are good.

[img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Hmmmm.

Link 1

Link 2(turn sound on first)

[img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img] [img]/forums/images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

Classic degradation of a thread. We should know better.

Click me

<font color="red"> I used to think I would just buy a cheap set (i.e. tap and die set) and then if something broke I would replace it with something of better quality. About all that does is point out which ones in the set you are likely to use, or to get the correct size.
    </font color>

Thats what I do a lot. Only problem is when you use something the first time, it breks, AND its a sunday afternoon, your stuck. [img]/forums/images/icons/frown.gif[/img] But I still do it.[I'm a little slow. [img]/forums/images/icons/crazy.gif[/img] [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img] ]
    Paul Bradway