Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Harbor Freight

Re: Harbor Freight

I use some of their stuff...........just have to watch what you buy. We have a HF store here in town so I get to visit that and personally look at the tools first.
    Figured I was safe buying a 22oz framing hammer for $2.99, right? Handle snapped first time I pulled a nail. Oh well, so much for looking at it first.
    But I still go there so........... [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Jerry

Hammers are somthing I spend money on... I got a $4 hammer once... It's so unbalanced, all I use it for now is tapping down paint can lids. I usually have bad luck trying to save a buck on tools... So I don't try to very hard anymore.

THe chicago hand tools are ok, THey are usually chineese/india made products. Tolerances are so-so, spare parts are not available in most cases. When I buy at HF I look at how I plan on using it. How often and hard will it get used. If its an ocassional use then HF is fine. As a primary hard hiting tool, pay the money for the name brand. I have a HF drimmel clone, paid $11, use it once or twice a year. Has held up for several years so far. I never would have purchased an $60 drimel kit even if it would have lasted forever. The cost and usage of HF can work in your favor. Have a cheap HF grinding wheel I use to sharpen mower blades. GOt it as one of there sales day prices at the HF store for $6. Cant turn down that price, Heck the blade is almost worth that. Again I would not ahve spent $40 for a name brand unit. I would however NOT!!! recomend and sockets or wrenches from HF. They are poor quality, Will either twist out or round out a nut. Very poor tolerances and metalurgy.

Need an ocassualy use tool or a spare, HF is great. otherwise look for sales on name brand

<font color="blue">I would however NOT!!! recomend and sockets or wrenches from HF. They are poor quality, Will either twist out or round out a nut. Very poor tolerances and metalurgy.
    </font color>

Hmmm. I still disagree. [img]/forums/images/icons/crazy.gif[/img] I've personally broken Craftsman, Stanley, and even Snap-on sockets and have yet to break a HF one (not saying it isn't possible - just saying it can, and does, indeed happen to "name brand" stuff.)

As far as twisting/rounding a nut - well - I have yet to do that with any socket or wrench by any manufacturer if I was using the correct size for the job (talking box/open end wrenches &amp; sockets - NOT crescent) Can't speak for your experience, but I think this happens most of the time when folks *think* they are using the correct socket when they are not (e.g. they are using an SAE socket/wrench when they should use a metric one - either because they don't have the metric set or they are in denial that their "American" product would use metric bolts/nuts. -- I have a buddy that this happens to ALL the time... [img]/forums/images/icons/confused.gif[/img] )

Metallurgy? Can't speak to the ratios in their alloys or amount of impurities when they forge them, but I've used a 3 foot cheater bar with an open end wrench many times and have yet to bend/break one of their wrench sets. Granted, I'm not Hercules or anything, but I did use all my weight, and well, as much as I hate to admit it, I'm not exactly "Mr. Slim." [img]/forums/images/icons/tongue.gif[/img]

Come to think of it, I did have something break the other day while using a HF socket set. [img]/forums/images/icons/frown.gif[/img] --- the carriage bolt I was tightening down [img]/forums/images/icons/smirk.gif[/img] - twisted it plum in 2 (a brand new bolt I had *just* purchased @ Lowe's) - too much torque output by me I suppose! [img]/forums/images/icons/tongue.gif[/img]

Again, I'm not saying you can't break wrenches/sockets from HF - you can break anything if you try. I'm just saying that (1) I've yet to see anything "wrong" with tolerances on their wrenches/sockets, (2) they are not made out of pot-metal as some seem to think (not by a long shot), and (3) just because you buy a "off brand" doesn't mean you necessarily get a poor quality/short lived product - "quality" is in the build, not in the name. Conversely, just because you spend lots of $$$ doesn't mean you'll get a quality product either - like the old joke about why folks who buy Ferrari’s only drive them on the weekends - (because they're in the shop on weekdays! [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img] )

I have to agree with Ranchman! I have brand names along with HF. All have a life time warranty! I use a 3/4 inch socket set from HF on the dozer. I sometimes use a cheater pipe on the handle to break loose a stubborn bolt or nut. The sockets are holding up better than me. Yes you can get junk from HF, but I have had to return several Craftsman wrenches and sockets for replacement.

If you drop a SnapOn wrench on concrete it will go "ting", a Craftsman will go "tang", a Chicago will go "tong. They are, no doubt, made of different stuff.

Just returned a 3/8 inch ratchet for replacement at sears, there was no questions asked, they just gave me a refurbished one out of a drawer.

Needless to say that the one I had replaced was over 25 years old and just plain wore out.

Here's a tip- you can return Sears tools to Home Depot/Lowes, whoever carries Husky tools, and get a brand new exchange. I have not been happy with receiving refurbished tools and have had to insist that Sears replace with new, not refurbished tools. But then I average about 1-2 years per ratchet! [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img]
    Nick

The only bad thing about HF is the 2 weeks it takes to get something from them. That is the biggest reason I don't order from them. When I buy new tools I usually buy them from McMaster Carr an industrial supplier. They deliever my orders over night for no extra charge. The only bad thing about them is they only sell to buisness'.
    Solo

[blue]The only bad thing about them is they only sell to buisness'.[/blue]

I'm not sure this is true anymore. Now that they take credit cards, they may sell to anyone.

I've ordered stuff w/ my credit card delivered to my house. So far it has been for work so I've listed a company, but you can always make up a name if you need to. You don't need to have an account or purchase order etc. anymore.
    Hazmat