Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Harbor Freight

Re: Harbor Freight

Rhonda -- I've never tried any tools from HF because while the prices look good, the shipping is horrendous! I've heard from others that they occasionally offer free shipping promotions, and I'm waiting patiently for that to happen.

Pete

I think their standard shipping costs are good. Here is a clipping directly from their site.

up to $14.99........$2.95
    $15.00 to $24.99....$3.95
    $25.00 to $ $39.99..$4.95
    $40.00 to $49.99....$5.95
    $50.00 and over FREE

I've never paid shipping on HF orders ... probably because it's free on orders over $50.
    I order from them quite often (but less than frequently). Not hand tools since I have more than I need. I have been impressed with the quality of what I've bought so far, one problem and it was caused by the clown delivering (dropped the hydraulic lift table because "it was heavy").
    What I like about HF is all the stuff I don't see anywhere else. How many catalogs do you see (or hardware stors, for that matter) with lift tables? Sure made my life easier with putting batteries in the motorhome, dropping gas tanks and generators and the like, lifting hitches into place, etc.
    On hand tools .... I used to prefer Craftsman, but a guaranteed replacement doesn't matter much when the stuff doesn't break ... or when it always breaks. I've had too many broken ratchets to think that any of the major guys build super quality into their tools anymore.
    So far, I've had no problems with any of the electrical tools I've bought from them.
    it's a shame that common sense isn't

Yup - those rates are correct, although there is also a standard $5.95 "Handling" fee in every order too. I've also noticed over the years that the lead time in shipment is longer than other places, so if you need it "yesterday," HF (mail order) is not the way to go.

Usually I order my tools before I need them, and try to make several "large" orders (e.g. over $50 in aggregate) during the year instead of tons of little ones (e.g. no shipping charges & fewer handling charges.) The really nice thing about the shipping is that it is based on $$$ spent and not weight shipped. For example, I've bought several things that weighed well over what UPS would handle, and since heavy things can cost quite a bit to ship, there was a very large savings on those items. Actually, that's one of the reasons I generally buy stuff from HF over Northern Tools - e.g. Although HF is generally cheaper on most items, even if NT has the same (or slightly lower) price on an item, they kill you on the shipping.

Yea, HF shipping is cheap, but not lightning fast by any means!

Regarding shipping, I agree that they are slow. I ordered some outside dinner bells and it took about two weeks to received them. I do have a HF in town but fighting the traffic and the distance to it makes it attractive to me to order online. [img]/forums/images/icons/cool.gif[/img] Now, if we're in a hurry for something, the nearest Home Depot/Lowe's will work though I prefer saving $$$ when possible.

you got that right .... lightning fast and HF ain't on the same planet. But, like you, I order stuff I don't need "right this minute" ... still have some unopened packages in the shop for later this winter.
    The lack of shipping costs is a real draw though ... far outweighs that silling "handling charge". The few orders I placed with Northern led me to wonder if it wasn't just a front for FedEx ... atrocious shipping rates. I have received quite a few VERY heavy items from HF - including a band saw this spring - hat made me wonder how they can afford to ship for free!
    it's a shame that common sense isn't

<font color="blue">...still have some unopened packages</font color>

[img]/forums/images/icons/laugh.gif[/img] I thought I was the only one who did that!!! Now I can tell the spouse that "That's normal - I know others who do the same thing!" Thanks!!! [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

<font color="blue">...Northern led me to wonder if it wasn't just a front for FedEx</font color>

[img]/forums/images/icons/tongue.gif[/img] Ha! You're right there! I've actually canceled orders when I got to the "checkout" page on Northern because the shipping costs were so outrageous. I just feel sorry for the folks that don't pay much attention to the "fine print" and hit the "order" button without realizing the rediculous costs they'll incur... [img]/forums/images/icons/frown.gif[/img]

<font color="blue">...made me wonder how they can afford to ship for free! </font color>

I still wonder! When I was looking at getting a cherry picker, HF was not only cheaper, but since it was free shipping, it absolutely blew away the NT total! (I wound up getting it from someplace else local - same price as HF) Whatever they have worked out with the shipping companies, I sure hope they keep it up!

Agree on the comments about Northern's shipping costs ... and HF's forever shipping time. I always wait to get the free shipping when I order though - try to plan in advance.
    I currently have a vise on order from HF for several weeks now (backordered). It is probably sitting in a container vessel anchored off one of the California ports ......
    Nick

There is a HF store near me so shipping hasnt been an issue. Now if I could just get a "Northern store" nearby I could buy that large wagon and skip the shipping cost.

My experience has been that if you watch what you buy they are ok, not great just ok. Most of their power tools are cheaply made. If you want good quality power tools at fair prices try http//www.grizzly.com. I have many of Grizzly's tools and I am yet to be disappointed. I bought a jigsaw from them and after a few weeks dropped it about 10 feet and broke the switch on it. They replaced the complete saw in about 3 days. Try them I am sure you will like what you see.