Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Sighthounds anyone?

Re: Sighthounds anyone?

Hank, is there anyway of verifying that Major was a K-9 dog? In my involvement with rescue of dogs I have run into too many people who aren't completely truthful. K-9 handlers are getting some unfair negative press over Major on some of the individual breed rescue sites. While this story may well be true, I would like to check into it myself.

Tim

<font color="blue"> Hank, is there anyway of verifying that Major was a K-9 dog </font color>

I passed this along to my wife, and she is already looking into it.

I halfway expect to see Major in my living room soon. At the very least, she will follow up with her network of fellow officers and concerned civilians.

I will let you know what we find out.

<font color="red">is there anyway of verifying that Major was a K-9 dog </font color>

<font color="blue">I passed this along to my wife, and she is already looking into it </font color>

That didn't take long! When I walked in the door, Alice said it looks like Major will be coming to live with us.

There had already been a few applications for him, but Alice is an active member of the Police Dog Rescue Association, which works directly with the GSD rescue groups.

Yes, he was a K-9, yes he was dumped as described. It is my understanding that 99% of the K-9 handlers, if they cannot take a dog into retirement, will work with the PDRA to find a good home, esp. for a service dog who has done so much on a day-to-day basis, and the PDRA specializes in the special needs of these special dogs.

Anyway, it will still be a couple-three weeks. Major will be neutered first, and needs some teeth cleaning, pulling; they're in really bad shape, infected, etc. In the meantime, he is in good hands, and he'll have a nice home in the country to retire to.

Thanks for alerting us.

Hank,

It's great that you and your wife are able to provide a warm home for these retired dogs. Give him a scratch behind the ears for me.
    Hazmat

Hello Hank and Alice,

Thank you both for adopting Major. What you are doing is something very special. It really bothered me that this dog was just dropped off at a shelter and his care was neglected especially after years of service to the community.

Hank, I never thought that when I asked for your help that it would result in the two of you giving Major a loving home. Please, if there is anything that you ever need to help Major just let me know.

Tim

Thanks, guys, but it is my wife who is the motivating force behind this, because of her special interests. I am part of the equation of the home, but she is the seeker-out of these dogs.

Here's another pic we received last night. It shows him in a bit better light than the ones on the web site.

He'll be "vetted" where he is now (at the rescue league), rather than coming somewhere new and then having to have surgery right away. At least he's sort of adjusted now and can recover easily.

Then, it's a plane trip to here (in the cabin, no less).

Major looks great in the new picture. How will the transport be handled? Will one of you have to go and pick him up?

When I was a young boy in the fifties my parents, imported two Silky Terriers from Australia. When they arrived, there was a log of all the people who had feed and cared for them during their four day trip to New York State. It was fun to read the entries filled with good wishes from some very nice people who took extra time to take care of these puppies. When we picked them up at the airport, the two flight attendants each had one in their arms.

Major can look for some VIP treatment on his trip too.

Thank you,

Tim

<font color="blue">How will the transport be handled? </font color>

The woman from the rescue league will be flying him here, at our expense. We would've balked at this if he had to fly in cargo, but she is handicapped and can bring him in the cabin as a service dog (which, indeed, he is).

If that wasn't possible, we would have drove up and picked him up. But Alice would rather use whatever leave she can get to bond with the dog, here, after he arrives. It is extremely hard for her to get any leave now, with the sniper still at large around here.

<font color="purple"> Major looks great in the new picture. How will the transport be handled? </font color>

Just a brief follow-up, a true success story for the CBN community.

K-9 Major is home now, and he even has a modest home page [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Major looks very happy in his new home! Good work.
    Hazmat