Thread: Skunk.... Yikes!!!!....

Skunk.... Yikes!!!!....

I was out at our property last nite and as I was driving out I noticed something moving just outside of the range where the headlites shine. I turned the van in that direction a lo and behold there he/she was, a skunk. [img]/forums/images/icons/shocked.gif[/img] It hadn't been dark long so it must have came from close by. In the last couple of years we have encountered all sorts of critters most of which are harmless if left alone. (except the stray emu that I am still undecided about [img]/forums/images/icons/confused.gif[/img]) Our house should be completed in the next 2-3 months but, we will need to move our pets out there pretty soon as our current home, if all goes as planned, is sold.
    So...... how do I rid my area of skunkage. Right now my main concern is a confrontation with the dogs. Our property isn't fenced in yet [img]/forums/images/icons/frown.gif[/img] and I will need to construct a temporary pen for them until we put a fence up. They will be let out to so they can run around when we feed them and I am sure one day they will find each other [img]/forums/images/icons/shocked.gif[/img]

Thanks

Franklin

Re: Skunk.... Yikes!!!!....

I do not know your location but in our area the skunks will be in their winter rest very soon.

We have gotten the ones in our area to move by using some coyote urine around their den. Works better on the skunks then on the deer.

Skunks will not respect most fences. You an fence your dogs in but it is tough to fence the skunks out. Skunks get about at night just fine so don't infer anything about where they came from or how far away because you saw them in the early evening. In some areas rabies is endemic in the skunk population so be sure your dogs have ALL the shots they need. We also avoid armadilos since they are carriers of leprosy.

Anyone feisty and clever enough to collect sufficient quantities of coyote urine would probably be able to deal with skunks.

pAT
    "I'm not from your planet, monkey boy!"

Up at my place in Central Pennsylvania we've had several incidents of problems with Skunks....

Two years ago the skunk got our cat just a few hours before we had to drive 16 hours back to Florida. Needless to say, we drove home with the windows open, even after the requisite tomato juice bath! [img]/forums/images/icons/smirk.gif[/img]

Last year on a cool night in June (when we were enjoying a night's sleep with the windows open) the little critters visited us and woke me from a mid-summer-nights-dream [img]/forums/images/icons/tongue.gif[/img]

This summer, sitting outside with the Wife (e.g. boss) after dinner, we got chased off by no less than four of the little buggers.......

I now shoot skunks with the '22 on a regular basis! [img]/forums/images/icons/cool.gif[/img] A VERY effective means of Shunk control!

Henry