Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ever feed a horse tobacco ?

Ever feed a horse tobacco ?

They love it......

Re: Ever feed a horse tobacco ?

I raise and eat alot of watermelon. My mares get the dreamiest look in their eyes munchin' on cold melon rinds. I'll hold it in my hands and they'll take turns taking a bite and then slobbering juice all over me and each other. My stud doesn't like melon but has a big persimmon tree in his pasture which is starting to have ripe fruit. He's cleaned all the lower branches and now has to rear up and jump. Very entertaining to watch him pucker after getting ahold of a sour one.

<font color="red"> Ever feed a horse tobacco
    </font color>

Is that good for them? I know nothing about horses, just seems that it would not be good.
    Paul Bradway

Does not hurt them a bit......they absolutely love it....take a cigarette or 2 break the filters off,or give them a cigar,lay on your palm so they will not nip you or a palm full of chewing tobacco.I learned that from my father when I was a small boy,the only thing it hurt was me....I would have my dad get me a pouch for my pony,and guess what...I tried chewing it and became sick as can be....

What are you basing it on that it won't hurt horses to eat tobacco? Horses are extremely sensitive to their diets and colic at the drop of a hat. I just can't imagine that any vet would condone feeding your horse tobacco. I'll call mine tomorrow and see what he says.

I am not talking about a large quanity or on a regular basis...I know they will gobble it up and I have never seen one get sick yet or die on 2 little cigarettes,I am just talking about a handful of tobacco on a rare occasion,I should have not said it will not hurt it a bit,of course I would not want to see any horses taking up such a bad habit,If Peta gets so upset about horses being led off to slaughter I am sure they would not like to see horses hooked on tobacco,I can see it now: Attention all horses if you were not born before this date Oct 8 1981 you cannot purchase tobacco,you must present ID no questions asked,I guess the clerk could ask to see the horses teeth and try and decide if he or she were old enough to purchase tobacco products .I am sure if you fed it lots and lot of tobacco it would not be good for it,no need to ask your vet,but ask him anyway( I am sure you will anyway) he would not condone it I am sure. [img]/forums/images/icons/smirk.gif[/img] [img]/forums/images/icons/ooo.gif[/img] [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Scott,

I knew and old trapper once who would come into town get all drunked up and before he headed
    back for the mountains would get a can of P.A. for his horse.

A discarded cig butt makes a decent catfish bait in a pinch.

[img]/forums/images/icons/laugh.gif[/img] Good one.......