Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Truck Bed "Lids" (not caps)

Truck Bed \"Lids\" (not caps)

I'm looking for a cover for my Ford Supercrew. I want something that is easy to remove (1 person) so I think the fiberglass options are out. Oh and it would be great if it only cost $50 [img]/forums/images/icons/tongue.gif[/img]

So far I've found Advance Cover Anybody have any experiences with this brand?

I saw another cover on a truck that was very low profile and was plastic or vinyl covered aluminum. It locked in the back and hinged at the front (like most). I couldn't find a manufacturer's name on it. Any ideas?
    Hazmat

Re: Truck Bed \"Lids\" (not caps)

Forgot to mention that it doesn't have to color match. Black is fine.
    Hazmat

[img]/forums/images/icons/blush.gif[/img] Hazmat, see my message to Pat in the <font color="blue"> Suburban vs Express Conversion Van </font color> thread under this topic for some relevant information.
    Fishman

Fishman, I guess I should clarify, I want a hard tonneau not a soft one. I didn't specify in my original post [img]/forums/images/icons/blush.gif[/img]
    Hazmat

I really like my topper, which is an A.R.E. brand. They do make a bunch of different lids, but as I recall, they are fiberglass. Another good brand is Snugtop, and of course there is Leer. I think these all have websites which is where I started looking.
    Fishman

I have one of these on my '99 Silverado and love it.
    Pace Edwards Roll Top. It allows me to lock my bed (I also have a power tailgate lock operating via my keyfob), but yet if I go somewhere and by something roll it up and load it up and off I go. Biggest drawback is that it probably only keeps 95% of the water out. Don't leave tools laying in the bed as they will rust as I found when I had to use it as a tool box for awhile when we were building our house and don't leave an 80# bag of Quikrete back because you'll have an 150# chunk of concrete in the bed of your truck. It does keep most of the rain out - especially if you are driving. And maybe they've improved it some in the four years since I bought mine.

jwstewar, Thanks for posting the link. All things considered, right now, I think the best tradeoff for a cover my wife can use AND be able to handle tall gargo is the roll top. Thanks for the heads up regarding redicrete and tools, been there and done that. So far my worst redicrete experience was having a bag of redicrete in a plastic trash bad for moisture protection on a sailboat. I was carrying it on deck with one hand under it and one holding the bag at the top. My buddy was in the dingy alongside to accept the bag so we could install some giant eye bolts in a rock crevice in a volcano that formed a cove where we liked to anchor. The plastic bag ripped on the side and the redicrete fell overboard missing the dingy and going to the bottom in 30+ feet of water. Till this day there is a "strange" pillow shaped rock on the botom there at Los Islos Todos Santos, the paper bag having long since disintegrated.
    We finished the job the next year.

Anyway, thanks for the roll top reminder and URL. That is the leading contender now.

Pat
    "I'm not from your planet, monkey boy!"

Here is the link to another manufacturer. Rollinlock I must admit though I know nothing about this particular unit, but it seems to have a few more features than my Pace Edwards unit. Not sure of price comparisons. I believe I paid $700 for mine installed back in '99, though now I know I was being ripped off by my dealer as I have since priced other items at a significantly lower cost - even after a modest installation fee.

JWSTEWAR, I looked at the RollinLock bed cover. Not too shabby. We don't really need total waterproof and security is a joke whether it is a $1500 dollar fiberglass unit or a $800 roll top. A tire iron and 5 seconds will pop either open. Thanks for the lead. It looks to be the sort of thing that would work for my wife. She isn't likely to store tools in it.

Pat
    "I'm not from your planet, monkey boy!"

Not a problem, glad I was finally able to help someone out. I've learned a lot here and TBN (OK, I've learned more at TBN - its been around longer), but haven't really been able to contribute much to either as I'm pretty much a city boy until fairly recently.