Thread: Painting Galvinized Metal Barn?

Painting Galvinized Metal Barn?

I have had my pole barn for about 4 years and my wife is tired of the galvinized metal sides. What is the best way to paint it and what to use. I have access to a commercial aircompressor but what type of paint gun to use. It is a small 24X24 barn. Thanks for the help

Steve

Re: Painting Galvinized Metal Barn?

It's hard to get paint to stick to galv for any length of time --- unless you prep the !@#$% out of it. Talk to a pro in the paint store about it. What I'd do ... and it's just my poor opinion .. is wash it really well with bleach using a pressure washer, then find the current equiv of zinc chromate to use as a primer, then metal paint on top of that. You can't get the real zinc chromate anymore [img]/forums/images/icons/mad.gif[/img] ... guess because it worked too well .. and we can't have that! [img]/forums/images/icons/tongue.gif[/img]

<font color="blue"> It's hard to get paint to stick to galv for any length of time --- unless you prep the !@#$% out of it </font color>

I've never tried this, don't know if it works, nor how long it lasts.

A neighboring development required vinyl-coated chain link fencing to make it blend in with the surrounding desert. One guy didn't do that, used regular galvanized, and was able to "fix" it by first spritzing it with vinegar to knock off the galvanized coating, then spraying it beige.

The vinegar spraying sounded like a fairly easy way to prep.

I've used the vinegar approach on other galv. surfaces, and it worked well. Not sure how it would do on such a broad surface. I'd use an acid brush or the like to spread/clean it, then just let it dry on it's own. Good luck.
    Dob
    FKA Dobber30052

What we've done is use an acid wash. They use it to clean aluminum horse trailers and such. You have to get the protective coating off for the paint to stick. I'd try an area first and see how that does before I would do the whole thing.

I've had really good luck using Metal Ready from POR15. It leaves a phosphate base for the paint to adhere to. Works really well, even on rusty metal.

Pete

Steve,
    go to an MAB paint or Sherwin -Williams store and find out what is needed to overcoat your galvanizing. As someone already stated a zinc chromate wash primer used to be put on first. I think there should be some type of water based acrlylic that will spray on easily and also dry fall. Some of the paint systems in the water tank industry, in which I work, require power washing at a minimum or light sandblasting over galvanizing. Get answers before you buy anything. I know I have seen an awful lot of galvinzed conduit that would not hold any paint. Let me know if you have more questions? Marty

Thanks for the suggestions everyone. Next time I am in town I will look for a real paint store. The Lowe's that I go to only know about painting drywall.

Thanks for the help and I will keep you posted.

Steve

Another alternative is to go to a quality automotive paint store such as Dupont. Tell them you are looking for a primer to be used on galvanized steel. They may have an acid wash or other product to use first. They will have what you are looking for because some comercial truck bodies are galvanized and painted. Be prepared to spend some $$$ as you get what you pay for when it comes to quality paint. Spraying the primer and paint will be the most cost effective. You can get an inexpensive paint gun from Sears. Also, it's critical that you mix this paint precisely as the directions say because of the complex chemistry of these paints. There are often three or more parts to mix. If you go this route, ask the paint jobber for a special graduated cup that will make mixing easier.

Mike

About 2 years ago, I had my galvanized metal barn painted. It was about 7 years old at the time and the galvanized coating had oxydized well (no shiny finish remaining). My painter told me to wash the barn with a hose about a day before he came. He used a solvent based metal paint that he said was designed for that purpose (I don't know what it was). It still looks great. I would talk to a professional to find out what kind of paint works best.