Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: topsoil, buy or create?

topsoil, buy or create?

I just got my driveway paved. It's about 175' long. The pavement is about 3" higher than the yard on each side of it now, which makes it harder to mow since I used to be able to go along the edge of it with the mower hanging a few inches over the driveway. Plus, it's dangerous to have that 3" ledge, my wife has already twisted her ankle. So, I need to build it up on each side.

I was planning on putting a 6' wide layer of new dirt along each side that tapers in thickness as it goes out from the driveway. So, it would be 3" thick on one side and taper down to zero, making the average thickness of the new layer of dirt 1.5". That would be 2 x 175' x 6' x .125' = 262.5 cubic feet, or about 10 yards of dirt. Did I figure that right?

I have an area on the top of a hill that I've been wanting to knock down anyway, so I keep it tilled and use it as an area to get fill dirt. It's about 150 yards away. I don't have a FEL, but I have a 30" rear scoop which will hold 9 cubic feet, so I could move that much dirt in about 30 trips, which is not too bad. The problem with this dirt is that I've already used the topsoil that was there in other places, so it's all clay now.

Sorry for the long post! I'm trying to decide if I should use the clay or buy some topsoil. How much can I expect to pay for topsoil?

If I use the clay, what is a good way to make it into decent topsoil, just add some compost and leaves? I can get compost and mulch for free at the local recycling center.

PS: I have a duplicate post on TBN under projects.

Re: topsoil, buy or create?

Mosey, you can create some topsoil by mixing compost & your clay. I just paid $21 a yard for screened compost delivered. Top soil cost the same $21 a yard. See my "how much topsoil" thread below.

I had an area to build up near the pool, so I put the soil there. Everywhere else I added 1" of compost & tilled it in.

So you could probably go for a 50/50 mix of compost & clay.

Be sure to get a soil test, they will tell you how much fert & lime you need to make the grass happy. Mine has started to grow already [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img]
    Hazmat

Thanks hazmat, I'll read your other post. That's surprising that compost and topsoil are the same cost!

Mosey,

I think it would be easiest to just put down a thin layer of the clay to about 3' wide then top dress with the compost do a light tilling & rake to feather it in & it should be fine.

When you get out to 4' wide that will be about an 1" or less so the existing grass will grow right up through the compost.

Carl

Well, unless something changes my mind, I think I'll go with a compost/clay mix since it will all be free. I can get the compost for free if I self load it, and the recycling center is a half mile from where I work, so I can swing by and load the trailer (6x10) on the way home. I'm guessing 5 or 6 trailer loads would be enough. Since the pavement is so new I don't dare let a dump truck drive on it, so I'd have to have them drive around the ditch and across the yard and I'm afraid a dump truck will just tear up the yard and create more work.

What exactly is compost? I have a lot of mulch that I got from the same place and sometimes it has trash in it and weed seeds, so can I expect to have the same problem with compost?

<font color="blue">What exactly is compost? I have a lot of mulch that I got from the same place and sometimes it has trash in it and weed seeds, so can I expect to have the same problem with compost?</font color>

Compost is decomposed organic matter. At a municiple recycling area it is mostly former leaves and grass clippings. It definitely has the potential for weed seeds. Trash depends on the source, for the municiple recycling area, quite probable.

You are a better man than me for wanting to load &amp; unload your trailer 5-6 times by hand. I'd rather pay to have it delivered, but if you've got more time than money, you have your solution.

A case of frosty beverage might convince the guy who drives the loader at the recycling center to help you out.

Hazmat

I've been thinking about this some more and now I'm really kicking myself. I priced topsoil and it's not too bad. I can get 10 yards of "rotovated" topsoil, which they say is already finely tilled so it would be easy to work with, delivered for $265. That's a pretty good price and I would gladly pay it except for the problem of how to get it dumped where I need it. The reason I'm kicking myself is that if I'd have known I was going to need it, I would have had the topsoil delivered before I got the drive paved and they could have just dumped it off each side of the gravel drive. For some reason I thought the pavers would remove more of the existing gravel and dig down so when it was paved it would end up at the same level. But, it didn't end up that way.

I have found that a lot of the top soil people are selling is pretty poor. If it was me, I would mix the clay, and compost/leaves. I think you would get a better product, and you get some tractor time. [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
    Paul Bradway

<font color="blue">I would gladly pay it except for the problem of how to get it dumped where I need it. </font color>

Don't know the geography of your homestead, but how about having them dump it at the end of your driveway &amp; then you move it with the dirt scoop. Be sure the wife's car is not blocked in [img]/forums/images/icons/tongue.gif[/img]
    Hazmat

Paul - I will be sure and take a look at some before I buy and make sure it isn't just clay like I have now. I agree it would be more fun to mix my own. I'm running out of time though! The fall rainy season is coming and winter is right behind it, so I'd like to get the grass seed down soon. Right now the only time I have is weekends, since it's almost dark by the time I get home from work M-F, and the next couple of weekends are booked with other activities. This caught me off guard so I didn't plan for it.

hazmat - I can't have it dumped on the end of the new asphalt or I'd tear up the asphalt getting it back off, plus it would block the way out like you said. I am looking into getting it dumped next to the driveway on each side. The problem is that there is a ditch there about 1' deep and 1-2' across at the top. I'm going to check with the place I called earlier and see if they think their truck would have enough rear overhang to back up to the ditch from the road and dump it past the ditch. Or, maybe I can temporarily put some logs or something in the ditch so they can drive over it. Then they could at least dump it along the side of the drive and that would save me a lot of time. But, if they get their truck stuck I would have to pay the bill to get it out, and I'm sure that's not cheap!

My last option, which is probably what will happen, is to just accept that it's not going to get done before winter and do it early next spring when I should have more time, or hope for a mild winter so I can work on it over the winter.