Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Is this the ultimate tool stand for miter saw etc?

Is this the ultimate tool stand for miter saw etc?

'been doing some surfing for stands for my 12" compound miter saw. So far I've found a couple that piqued my interest.

Is this the ultimate? Ultimate Tool Stand

Or how about this one?
    New Yankee miter saw stand (This episode is showing this weekend on PBS)

I see pro's & con's to both. My shop is about the size of a 1 car garage, right now. I have room (and permission) to expand into the rest of the basement if needed. I like the aparent versatility of the first one, but am worried about the jack of all trades master of none catch.

How long of a fence do I need? I have a mobile roller that I currently use.
    Hazmat

Re: Is this the ultimate tool stand for miter saw etc?

I have a DeWalt stand for my DeWalt sliding compound miter saw, and like it because it is so portable. Also, will fold up when not in use. I have been building work stations for my new garage, and am trying to build in as many "extras" as I can for the future. They are each 5' long, and on wheels. They lock together to form one long bench (20'), and I am contemplating adding a smaller miter saw either at the back of the bench or just above the bench, along the wall.

Tool Crib shows a number of portable miter saw stands. Seems (although I cannot put my finger on it) I read a review of miter saw stands, and the DeWalt rated high on the list. I noticed DeWalt has a newer one (and better IMO) than the one I have.

hazmat,

this is the one that I have - it's compact well built and easy to setup and move from site to site.

Saw Helper

Cost is around $300 I think as I got mine at the Atlanta woodworker show 8 yrs ago.

Carl

<font color="blue">How long of a fence do I need? </font color>

The table/fence provides three things

1. support underneath the stock, to hold it perpendicular to the plane of the saw

2. support at the back, to hold the stock perpendicular to the cut/off blade

3. a place to clamp a stop, for making repetitive cuts exactly the same

For #'s 1 &amp; 2, longer is better, to a point. You can supplement #1 with your mobile roller.

It's sort of like using a level; you want to use the longest one you can, because it will span any minor irregularities in the surface, whereas a short one will "rock" and give you inaccurate readings. Same with a table/fence, longer support gives you more of a chance to even out any warps in the stock in relation to the blade. With bowed stock against a short little fence, it's hard to keep it perpendicular to the blade, but with a longer fence, you can support the stock at more points.

Your best guide will be the "usual maximum" length of stock you will be working. This is what will ultimately guage #'s 1, 2, &amp; 3, and don't overlook the utility of #3.

You can always temporize for all three factors, #1 with your mobile roller, and #'s 2 &amp; 3 by clamping/tacking a longer strip to the fence.

For minimal support at the back (fence), I'd want at least 3 feet on either side of the blade. For #3, using a stop, I'd want enough length on the outfeed side of the blade to accommodate my "usual maximum" stop length.

<font color="blue"> I see pro's &amp; con's to both </font color>

I see a con to both (and other) designs, and that is the solid table extensions.

If you make the table extensions using slats, running perpendicular to the fence, rather than solid, it is much easier to keep your work area clear of sawdust and chip buildup, both of which interfere with positioning your stock correctly against the fence and table.

The stuff just falls through, or can easily be swiped through, the spaces between the slats (+/- 3/4" spaces).

Hank,

I like the slats idea! I think I could modify either design to incorportate them.

beenthere &amp; carl,

I've been debating the merits of the portable vs. permanent setups. I only work on my house, but it is convienient to have the saw in the room you are working on if the job requires a lot of cuts. Our future hardwood floor install, for example.

Portable:
    Pros: duh portable, can set it up in the room I am working on
    Cons: takes up alot of real estate if I were to leave it set up in shop.

Permanent:
    Pros: provides storage underneath for other tools when set up in shop.
    Cons: duh, Not portable.

Of course I want both, it wouldn't be hard to swap the saw between the two.

Hmm, heres an idea. How about a hybrid. Make a fence system that breaks down easy and can be placed on a long cabinet in the shop or on sawhorses for "site work" I'll have to play around with this a bit. If I come up with a viable option, I'll post it for review.

I love talking tools, makes work a little bit easier.
    Hazmat

For on-site work with the miter saw its hard to beat a workmate. Granted it doesn't have an extended fence or any bells and whistles, but it is sturdy, stable and supports the saw well. It also has a small footprint. I use one or two roller stands with it depending upon the length of my stock and the piece being cut. I keep the saw bolted onto the workmate and when I'm done with it I fold it up with the saw still attached and carry them out in one piece. One other advantage is that if I need a small workbench, I can always take the saw off and use the workmate as a workbench.

my shop is a 24 x 32 stick built. The entire west wall is a work table where I have some of the stationary tools (drill press, grinder, etc) mounted. When I built the 32 ft table, I measured twice, no - three times, and built it with one 24" section lowered enough to bring the miter saw plate flush with the table. I mounted the radial arm saw beside the miter saw. The fence includes both saws and gives me a LOT of support.
    The miter saw is bolted to the table with 2 bolts and wingnuts .... would take less than 2 minutes to remove and make it "portable" again.

pete
    it's a shame that common sense isn't

Pete,

Got any pictures?
    Hazmat

OK,

Been doing more research on the miter saw stand. After cutting a couple of 16' crown molding pieces by myself with just the roller, I realize that the miter saw will be much enhanced with a "miter station"

I've come to the conclusion that I want one with a table &amp; fence. That means the dewalt is out as well as several other brands that they had at woodworker's warehouse.

The sawhelper is expensive toolcenter.com $370 and up

Here are a couple alternatives:
    biesemeyer click on miter table systems Requries I build some kind of support system (probably a bunch of saw horses) Prices at woodworker.com

Some from Rockler:

Stablemate

Another "stablemate" configuration

Chop saw station

The biesemeyer is a well known brand. How does the "rockler exclusive" stuff hold up?

How long should I go? Projects include 16' lengths of crown molding, baseboard molding, and possibly lots of 2' +/- pieces for faux wainscotting.

Any tips on sneaking this one in below the radar of the CFO?

Hazmat