Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Is this the ultimate tool stand for miter saw etc?

Re: Is this the ultimate tool stand for miter saw etc?

<font color="blue"> Any tips on sneaking this one in below the radar of the CFO? </font color>

Just tell her it's necessary to have one of these to properly cut and install her crown moulding [img]/forums/images/icons/wink.gif[/img]
    Argee [img]/forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

<font color="purple"> Any tips on sneaking this one in below the radar of the CFO? </font color>

What happened to the build-it yourself options, which started this thread?

Seems to me it would be easier to slip the funds in by touting the build-it yourself nature, and you'd end up with a superior stand.

<font color="blue">What happened to the build-it yourself options, which started this thread?

Seems to me it would be easier to slip the funds in by touting the build-it yourself nature, and you'd end up with a superior stand. </font color>

Well I borrowed my dad's table saw (old craftsman - 20+ years) and it is in sorry shape. The fence won't lock down square and the sector gear that raises the blade up is stripped -- depth of cut is more dependent on the phases of the moon than spinning the crank. As you know, the table saw is the backbone of the workshop! Besides, now that I'm in the middle of the project, I don't feel I have the time to do it right. I More need it right now!

I'm leaning towards the Besiemeyer table &amp; fence. Throw it on top of a couple saw horses (or even the floor) for now, build a nice cabinet for it in the future.
    Hazmat

<font color="purple"> I'm leaning towards the Besiemeyer table &amp; fence </font color>

They make very high-quality fences for table saws. At those prices (I was pleasantly surprised), it should be an easy approval with the CFO [img]/forums/images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

I am curious, though, since I noticed how "short" the fence is. Do you cut your crown with it laying flat, utilising a compound cut. Or do you stand your crown up(side down) and just ange the blade to 45 degrees?
    [img]/forums/images/icons/confused.gif[/img]

<font color="blue"> I am curious, though, since I noticed how "short" the fence is. Do you cut your crown with it laying flat, utilising a compound cut. Or do you stand your crown up(side down) and just ange the blade to 45 degrees?
    </font color>

Since I got a pair of these do-dads I've been standing the crown up.

Thanks for pointing out that the fence is so short. It didn't really register. Back to the drawing board! [img]/forums/images/icons/crazy.gif[/img] [img]/forums/images/icons/confused.gif[/img]
    Hazmat

<font color="purple"> Thanks for pointing out that the fence is so short. </font color>

Just clamp a board to the fence for working with crown. Otherwise (95% of the time) you would never need a tall fence, and it would only get in your way, anyway. [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

<font color="blue">Just clamp a board to the fence for working with crown. Otherwise (95% of the time) you would never need a tall fence, and it would only get in your way, anyway </font color>

A-huh, sounds like a plan. Just dawned on me that I'd have to buy a left &amp; a right fence. Hmmm Sawhelper isn't looking so expensive anymore. Rockler is looking more attractive (but requires some fabrication).
    Hazmat

<font color="purple"> Rockler is looking more attractive (but requires some fabrication). </font color>

Not sure who bought whom, or whether management changed, or what, but Rockler's used to be Woodworker's Supply Co., headquarted I believe in MA (perhaps the current Cambridge store?). I dealt with them lots since the early 70's, but at that time they didn't have much "store brand" stuff, so cannot comment on that.

As for how long you should go, for mitering moldings around a room, you will definintely not be needing a long fence for a stop. You will need it mainly for support, and the table support can be supplemented with your roller stand. I would think 3-4 feet on either side of the blade would be sufficient for normal support.

<font color="purple"> Woodworker's Supply Co., headquarted I believe in MA </font color>

It was Woburn MA, I finally recalled [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Well I ordered the Rockler track system. I have to build the table and fence. So far $70 invested (2 4' tracks &amp; one stop). Since its only 2 digits, it shouldn't register on the CFO's radar [img]/forums/images/icons/tongue.gif[/img]. If I'm satisfied with it, I will add the tape measures. I wanted to order some lights from Rockler anyway (they fit the cut-outs in the top of the bookcase).

I taped the first half of the new yankee miter station, part 2 is on tomorrow night. Someday I'd like to build a similar cabinet for the rockler table &amp; fence to sit on in the shop.

I'm inching towards biting the bullet and buying a decent table saw. I can think of 101 uses.
    Hazmat