Thread: eliminating soybeans

eliminating soybeans

part of my land is farmed and they rotate soybeans and corn each year. Well, we finally built our home and I'm now ready to prepare about 1 acre with topsoil and seed. We have already tilled/disc the land, but those nasty soybeans keep popping up. Round up is even having difficulty killing those roots. Any ideas?

Re: eliminating soybeans

Are you sure its soybeans that are coming up? Try disking again and then plant your lawn. The grass will start to crowd out any beans that do come up and once you start mowing you'll cut the beans. Worst case is you'll have some bean plants trying to get started for a year or two and by then the lawn will be well established.

Its doubtful that you're going to kill the beans with roundup. Most farmers are using "roundup ready" beans. That means that they are geneticly modified to be resistant to roundup. Saves alot of cultivating when you can just spray them with roundup to keep the weeds down. Just plant your grass and cut, they'll eventually quit comming up.

Vince (in Armada, MI)
    Jinma dealer and sausage maker in SE Michigan.

Thanks for the info. I will disc again and plant. I wasn't aware they use "roundup ready/genetically modified" soybeans. Learn something new everyday. [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img] <font color="yellow"> </font color>