Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: My Barn is Here

Re: My Barn is Here

Chevdog, glad things are off high center. In my search for the company to build my barn, BCI was high on my list but I went with Apache because they build a gambrel style of barn. While still in the discussion stage I got to know the BCI folks pretty well and they told me that even if they didn't end up building my barn to feel free to call them for any advice. I'm naive enough to believe that they meant it! Sounds as if you got a good crew. This is one business where the people are all pretty good, quality folks. I wish my business (insurance) had as good a record!
    <font color="orange"> Romans 8:28

That's encouraging to hear and my ongoing experience bears out your comments.

Looks like they will finish the barn tomorrow - I've taken some ongoing pixtures and will post them when developed. These guys have really taken the sting out of the mis-scheduling that I went through - they have done a top-notch job down to the smallest detail. They've worked steadily since Wed morning (this is Saturday) and have not tried to do a slam-it-up job. They have really taken the time to do it right and it looks great.

I can't say how pleased I am with them. I spent the day installing plumbing for the barn and really got to see how they work together, very methodically and they definitely know what they're doing. I've had a chance to really see how it all frames together and it's very rigid. I opted for 26 ga panels instead of the standard 29 ga and I'm glad I did - this just adds to the finished wall/roof strength.

Steel for the floor slab gets delivered Monday and if these creaky muscles will hold up, we're trying to have plumbing and reinforcement done by next weekend so we can get the concrete guy in here to pour and finish.

Thanks for your input and with some pictures I hope this experience will help somebody contemplating this type of construction.
    Nick

Chevdog,

Please take a lot of extra pics of every stage of the prep for the concrete pour. I want to pour a floor in my barn and all the extra pics in an email would be greatly appreciated. I know not everyone here will be interested in all that detail but I'd really appreciate as much step-by-step as you can photograph. Thanks!

Post at least some of the pics. I, for one, am somewhat fasicnated by concrete. A gray, lumpy substance gets poured into forms and a few hours later; zingo! a floor!

Anyway, this would be a great addition to the pool of knowledge at CBN, much as TBN already has. Maybe put it under its own thread as not to hyjack this thread.
    Just an idea...

I will be happy to take some more pictures along the way if it will in some small way help pay back the great info I've received from both CBN and TBN [img]/forums/images/icons/wink.gif[/img] Probably on a separate post.

The barn crew is paid and gone and now MY work continues. I also have some plumbing that I'm installing and I'll take some pictures of that too. I have already installed the plumbing for a bathroom with shower, will also install plumbing for hand wash sink at the end of the workbench, 2 area floor drains, and water line. The bath and sink drains will wye into the drain from the house to the septic tank, and the area drains will go to a french drain dug the length of the building.

My own non-scientific rating of BCI (scale of 10):

Response to inquiries and questions: 8
    Pricing: 9
    Scheduling: 2
    Material Quality: 8
    Material Quantity: 9
    Construction Quality: 9
    Site Cleanup: 4

Would I use them again? Yes - I would be sure to cover the materials right after delivery and stay on top of them for a construction date.
    Nick

There are many of us who are following this thread with interest. Please consider posting your pictures as this will help everyone.
    PJ

ill second that. Im very interested and following this thread
    Thanks Larry

Chevdog, I read your rating for the BCI people. I would encourage you to cut the scheduling person a bit of slack though. I experienced some of the same delays and missed appointments that you did. My particular problem was the folks scheduled before me. The wife couldn't decide if they needed two cupolas or three, more windows or less, etc. When the guys showed up at my place I couldn't bait them into saying anything against the previous stop. What patience! In my own case, the 4 man crew was supposed to finish on Friday but there was some minor details. Normally builders will tell you they will be back the next week to finish. These guys did come back and spend most of Monday finishing the job. I'm attaching a picture of the final job. Hope the concrete pour went well and the back held up! Regards

Chevdog, I'm trying the attachment one more time.

That is beautiful - looks terrific.

I agree with your comments about realizing that there were others ahead of us, but I did want to clarify a point that I don't think is unreasonable. My request is that if I am given a start date then I expect either someone there or a phone call to let me know what the delay is.
    I knew that the weather hit us hard and that there was a backup on construction, but I got really tired of being given a date for the crew that would come and go with no crew and more importantly - no phone call. I hate to chase contractors [img]/forums/images/icons/wink.gif[/img]
    I also want to note that my exasperation with the office did not extend to the crew - they were great.
    Man I like that barn you did !
    Nick