Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Hunting - What do you do to prep for deer season?

Re: Hunting - What do you do to prep for deer season?

I see several possible reasons for the decline in the deer population in the area where I hunt. For one, some of the local yokels kill their limit and keep on killing and register the excess in their childrens' names, some of the children being pre-school age. That is outlawing any way you look at it.

Then there are the true outlaws who poach year round. Year before last we saw three deer carcasses lying side by side right on the side of the road during the opening week of deer season. Two had the hind quarters cut out and the third was fully intact. Apparently they had been spotlighting on the road and almost got caught so they just left the whole deer behind rather than get caught.

Thirdly, there seem to be a lot of hunters per square mile. Everyone owns their hundred acres or so and have several hunters on each plot. The land that is not owned locally is being leased to out of state hunters more and more. In a ten mile stretch you can see at least three makeshift deer camps set up every fall on just one gravel backroad and most of those folks are from out of state.

The year before last I was fortunate enough to harvest my limit for the first time in my life. I got an eight point and a six point. Last year I saw a few does, fawns and yearlings. I have not had much time to check out the woods this year but I normally see from one to seven deer on the seven mile stretch from the main highway to my uncle's driveway and this year I have done well to see one or two at night. Two winters ago it was not unusual to see herds of 7-8 deer on the highline which runs across my uncle's property. I have only seen a few tracks this year....

Chris

Well there's been some interesting info (and some disheartening stuff too [img]/forums/images/icons/frown.gif[/img] ) so far in this thread.) Seems like some folks have such an overpopulation issue and the deer are so tame, it's like "shooting fish in a barrel." My folks always have deer in their yard - although they don't feed them or anything like that, it's not uncommon to get within 15 yards of them before they start to get "nervous."

The deer on my place? Well, there is nothing tame about them - they are as wild as can be - no porch shooting during commercial breaks by a long shot - lots of prep - lots of covert maneuvering. A good number are present (confirmed via game cameras I built), but you're lucky if you ever see any of them if you're just walkin' around.

Personally I've always been "in to" the "challenge" type of hunting. Basically trying to challenge my skill level without being so challenging I have a high risk of letting a wounded animal get away. I'm generally pretty selective in what I shoot too - I don't just go for anything that passes between the cross hairs.

I'll admit I'm saddened to see some of the comments regarding the "redneck/poacher" or "city slicker" types. I personally believe that these are in the vast minority, although they are certainly out there. The "city folk" type can certainly be educated (just need to have some good guidance), but the poacher type - well, that's a different story. To echo Hayseed's comment "<font color="blue">That is outlawing any way you look at it. </font color> "

Some people don't realize how "big a deal" it is to poach in Texas. Without going in to my usual verbose speech on how you can get 10 yrs/$10,000 fine for poaching in Texas, I've pasted a few links on it. The only comment I'd further say is that if you see/know anyone that is one of these criminal types, I'd highly encourage you to turn them in via the 3rd link - some may think of you as a "snitch" but if they are illegally taking game, in my book, they deserve to suffer the full penalty of what the law says they should get. (I have no problem with somebody being a "snitch" when it comes to turning in someone who is a thief, a rapist, or a murder either - they're all criminals, after all.)

Texas Parks &amp; Wildlife Article 1

Texas Parks &amp; Wildlife Article 2

Texas Operation Game Thief

Wadda Ya Know About.....
    Anyway, with that off my chest, to expound a little more on the original subject, I was wondering if anybody out there has had good/bad experiences with - say - the scent locking/blocking stuff?

I've personally never used it, but thought about trying this year. It certainly seems to make sense to me, but a lot of lures catch more fisherman than fish too, so I was curious about "real world" experience with such products (e.g. how well they work, benefits/drawbacks to certain brands, etc.)

Also, I'm curious what are folks favorite factory loads for the .44 Mag are. I was thinking about some Hornaday 300 gr. loads, but there are a lot of 240 gr. out there too. Just curious what you've had "good luck" with.

'Course those aren't the the only types of "equipment" or "methods" to discuss, but they are ones that I'm curious about at least.....

Hi all,
    I try to get all my stands checked and up early.Check any scopes for gun season. For bow I practice from elavated stands a couple times a week. Was out at lunch and went 9 for 9 on 1/2 gallon milk jugs, although that golf ball at 18 yards has been elusive. Wash my clothes in scent free detergent in cluding uwear and socks. I do have Scent stopping clothing, One set for warm weather and another set sewn into my cold weather gear. I think it helps, but you still need to be careful about your scent especially when bowhunting.

I have been busy and have not been out yet where I hunt in Wisconsin. I told my wife I am staying home this weekend to catch up on house projects and she will not see me next 3 weekends. [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img] Marty

Ranchman, Sorry this is so late. CONGRATULATIONS on your post. Things that are wrong are wrong and turning a criminal in is NOT being a snich it is being a responsible citizen. The whole idea that assisting law enforcement is somehow a sneaky underhanded activity burns me something awful. All citizens have the responsibility of upholding the constitution of the USA and the laws of the nation and its constituent states thereunder. It is not a WE vs THEM situation. We are them!

Oklahoma, is strongly encouraging antlerless deer hunting to try to get the herds back into balance but it is so hard to get through to the vast majority that taking a doe is a GOOD thing not some cowardly second class citizen consolation prize. They are good eating and harvesting a doe helps our deer populaltion.

Still, in the contest between the macho image of the trophy on the wall versus good eating and doing the right thing for the long term welfare of the deer populaltion, doing the right thing is a hard sell.

Regarding the .44 mag, you didn't say pistol or carbine or...
    I liked Hornady 240gr semi-jacketed soft points pumped up to nearly 1500 fps and for flatter shooting the 225gr jacketed hollow point at 1500fps or so but it has been so long since I built any I don't recall the powder and charge except it was a compressed load. At first it used to make me nervous when I seated a bullet in a case so full of powder that you had to compress the powder to do it. These loads gave consistent results and will drop a whitetail or muley like a blow to the head with a sledge. I was shooting a Ruger Blackhawk single action six shooter with a factory oops barrel a little under length from the standard 7 1/2 inch.

If you are shooting a rifle and want to use factory loads, I suggest you try several different rounds in the weight range of interest and see what your rifle seems to like to group the best. I don't think there is enough difference in deer dropping potential between 240-300gr with soft nose bullets to warrrant worrying. If you have to shoot though light brush go for the heavier end of bullet weight to minimize deflection. I would favor the 240gr and heavier rounds for the rifle. 240gr and lighter for a pistol but that is just me. Your mileage may vary. If your shots are not in brush consider hollowpoints but if there is a fair chance of bullet contact with anything prior to the deer use solid point ammo. All the manufacturers stuff I've seen has been pretty well evolved to a good solution. Just decide what would fit your situation. A few grains of bullet weght either way is not the first consideration.

Patrick
    "I'm not from your planet, monkey boy!"

Chris,

I haven't been hanging around this site for a few days, so sorry so long since you asked your question about where I live/hunt.
    I am in Columbia County actually; in the very northeast corner. I live just a mile from Ouachita County. I hunt some out close to Lake Columbia, some west of Stephens and here where I live.
    I don't see many big bucks and probably one buck for every 2-3 dozen doe I see. Of course, they are more elusive to start with and the ones I see are usually a 4 or 6 point. I'd like to get one of the cameras set up to find out just what is out there that I DON'T see and maybe figure a way to get one. But, I don't mind helping to thin out the doe herd and they eat mighty fine! Just like you said, a shame so many poachers and pre-school kids "killing" the deer.

Terry

I got my stands up a bit later than I would have liked, but I don't have to get my quarry on opening day (that's the nice thing about having your own place!) Kindof figured I'll just take my time and "pick my shot" - heck - being outdoors is 90% of the fun anyway. [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

I've always tried to stay as "scent free" as possible myself, but that goes back to before any of the various products were available to help minimize my "aroma." [img]/forums/images/icons/smirk.gif[/img] I got some of the soap (both detergent and shower) along with some spray stuff for the boots. Hopefully it will help cover my "musk." [img]/forums/images/icons/tongue.gif[/img]

Always thought it would be neat to bow hunt, but unfortunately I ripped the tendon in my right elbow working on the property this Spring, and since they take a while to heal (still dealing with it - better, but not 100% yet) I think it will be another year or 2 before I consider "biting the bullet - er uh, arrow". [img]/forums/images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

Pat -

Thanks for the positive words - I hate to come across "preachy" and such, just one of those kindof hot-button issues with me I suppose...

As for the .44 mag, sorry, I should've been more specific - I'm gonna be shooting a scoped Ruger Super Blackhawk Hunter. Hadn't ever gone after a deer with a handgun before but thought it would be a kick (so to speak [img]/forums/images/icons/wink.gif[/img] ) Normally I'd work up my own loads, but just don't have the time this year (new gun) so I figured I'd just go with factorys instead (Yea, I know, I feel guilty for doing it, but it wouldn't be the only time I've used factory loads.)

I think I'm going to go with the Hornaday Custom 300 gr. loads. I have a clear shooting path from the stand, and since I'm planning on bagging some hogs as well, I figured the extra bullet weight might be a good thing to have (most of the feral hogs on my place probably weigh in the 250 range). Hopefully next year I'll have more time to work up a load for deer season (I'm sure I'll have one worked up for hogs in spring though!).

Terry,

So you live and hunt in Columbia co. too. Small world, huh? If I could find a good paying job up there I would move back home in a heartbeat. I live in southeast TX. but have hunted in Columbia co. all my life. My uncle lives on 120 acres east of Emerson and that is where I hunt.

I would have gladly settled for a doe last year but after the opening weekend they became as scarce as the bucks. All I saw around my stands were fawns and yearlings. I too, have considered buying a camera to see what, if anything, am missing. I have not been able to spend as much time scouting in the woods this year as I usually do due to overtime on the job. I have not been able to look for scrapes and rubs but I have seen large tracks in a couple of spots so I think there is least one buck in the area. I just hope it is not the only one! [img]/forums/images/icons/crazy.gif[/img]

As for getting ready for the hunt this year, I acquired permission to hunt another 40 acres across the road and need to mow and repair an old stand that is already in place (next weekend.) It is getting kind of late to be doing this stuff but I have not had a chance to do it any sooner. All my other stands are up (permanent) and my shooting lanes are as clear as I am going to get them. The only other thing left for me to do to get ready for the season is to clear the wasp nests out of my blinds. Last year I put an insect bomb in a couple of stands a couple of weeks before the season opened and that took care of the wasp problem. More than one opening day I have shared a stand with a wad of cold, lathargic wasps which ain't so bad in itself because they barely move when it is cold, but it is a little unsettling to discover that they have chosen the underside of the chair I am sitting in to weather out the latest cold snap!

Good luck with your deer hunting this year.
    Chris

Ranchman,

I'm jumping in late to this thread.

I think general gun season starts around Turkey Day in NC. It
    depends on which section of the state one is hunting.

What I do to prepare for deer season is wait for the leaves
    to fall from the trees, then "patrol" the parameter of the
    property reposting torn down Posted signs and looking for
    signs of poachers/trespassers.

Last year I got a nice stand where someone was poaching and
    trespassing. He was also baiting the dear. What a hunter...

My neighbor said some guys came in and asked him for
    permission to hunt my land. They did not know who owned
    the land. They have leased the land to my east and want to
    use mine as well. I don't think they where the ones
    trespassing last year, I think it was someone else, but there is
    an ATV trail that comes right up to my property line....

I'll be posting more heavy on that line in a week or so. If I
    find anymore stands I'll call the WRC and see if they would
    like to stake the place out and make a good case.

I HATE poachers and trespassers!

A couple of years ago two hunters where shot walking to
    their stands before dawn. One died. The dead man was shot
    by a 17 year old who was just shooting at sound. And in the
    dark. I can't remember if he was convicted but even if he
    was it was just a manslaughter charge....

If I had a freezer I would hunt my land but right now I don't
    have a way to keep the meat. Maybe next year. This year
    just keep the SOBs off my land. Course that will be the job
    for next year, the year after, and the year after.... [img]/forums/images/icons/frown.gif[/img]

Later,
    Dan McCarty