Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Hunting - What do you do to prep for deer season?

Re: Hunting - What do you do to prep for deer season?

I like getting together with my sons,brother-in law, and nephews to shoot -in the muzzleloaders. Here in Pa. they started an early season for muzzleloading last year. We talk about past hunts laugh joke and get equipment ready it's a great time and I hope to someday have the chance to share it with my grandkids

<font color="red"> "I grab the rifle and stand guard near my vegetable garden!" </font color>
    The deer harvest reported for last season in the area I live in was 64,559! This covers about a dozen counties in South Arkansas - probably 1/6 of the state's square miles. Even with that many killed, there are too many. I could easily kill the limit (4) each season just keeping them out of the garden!

Terry

What part of Ark. do you live in? I hunt in Columbia co. and last year was pretty dismal in my area and this year looks even worse. If the deer are there they sure are doing a good job of hiding... no tracks or other signs to speak of either. My expectations are not very high for getting or even seeing a buck this fall.
    Chris

Last night I spread out the last 50 pounds (of the 150 pounds I bought) of perennial ryeseed in some areas of my woods that I cleared out some Wild Florarose bushes this summer. There was a nice steady rain, and the forecast is for 2 more days of this stuff, so I decided to get out and start spreading. Well, I saw 25 deer (3 here, 5 there, 9 running across the open field, etc) during my hour or so of being out there and I actually walked up to about 30 feet of two until they saw me. I guess the sound of the rain hitting the leaves/trees/ground supressed my movement. I certainly wasn't sneaking around either.

It is now bowhunting season in my county and the bowhunters could have a field day on my property. No one has even approached me for permission this year.

:: D A V E
    :: g a t o r b o y

<font color="purple"> No one has even approached me for permission this year. </font color>

Our temporary rental here in Sniper County MD is a "park house". It belongs to the Park Dept and is in the middle of beautiful Little Bennett Regional Park.

It is also illegal to hunt on park property. Also, my wife is a Park Police officer.

So this young dude comes up to the house the other day seeking permission to bow hunt in the woods behind the house [img]/forums/images/icons/shocked.gif[/img] He got a bit of a lecture [img]/forums/images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

This picture pretty much sums it up. Dallas county Arkansas the night before gun season opens.

..and you don't see a LIGHT shining on the American Flag. More flag etiquette violations. [img]/forums/images/icons/mad.gif[/img] This photo appears to me to be taken after sunset.

Ordinarily it should be displayed only between sunrise and sunset. It should be illuminated if displayed at night.
    :: D A V E
    :: g a t o r b o y

Deer hunting in Oklahoma is almost an oxymorom. We have so many deer they are pests. For some of my neighbors, preparations for deer hunting are simple. They wait for a commercial on TV and step out in the yard and shoot a deer. Some shoot from their porch between sips of morning coffee. I have bow hunted pronghorn deer, squirrels, rabbits and don't have a problem with taking of game with bow or gun but as long as there is moderately priced beef (or I raise my own) I don't have a lot of interest in walking around in the woods with a lot of not too careful city boys. Some farmers prepare for deer season with a three letter word to paint on some of their stock, C-O-W. We have lots of places to hunt on public land but I wouldn't go anywhere near them when all the crazies are out with guns. With my 12 ga magnum pump and 000 buck (I prefer it over 00) I could probably get 3-4 deer in a ten second barrage if I pulled the plug in the magazine and filed her up. I guess what is available on my own property would be more accurately termed deer harvesting instead of hunting. Hunting implies a search.

Pat
    "I'm not from your planet, monkey boy!"

Come north Hayseed... In Greene co. they issued doe tags last year to help thin the herds... I usually see 3-4 a year near the roads.

Like rlw, on years I bowhunt, I spend a lot of time through summer ar the 3D courses. This year I have not had time and will pass on bow season.

Gun season will find me pulling out the shotgun gun (shotgun, pistol or muzzleloader only in Indiana) and putting a few rounds down the barrel to make sure my scope didn't lose its zero during the off season.

As I live on the property I hunt, the scouting is 365 days a year when I am cutting, tilling, plowing etc.. or just hiking around. Also plant a several food plots of clover, alfalfa (sp?)., sunflower, wheat etc...

Last step is to get together with a friend and his son who come down for opening weekend. A good time to trade stories, remember thos parts of previous hunts we'd all like to forget etc......then try and get some sleep befpre darkthirty of opening day.

Above works the same for turkey season in the spring as well....with exception of the slugs.

Paul