Thread: Dog vs Horse

Dog vs Horse

This weekend my wife and I decided to go horseback riding. She is a more experienced rider; therefore, she rides our 4 year old gelding QH 15.3HH, while I ride our 13 year old gelding TB 16HH. We usually go around 7:30 AM, since it is nice and cool. Lately, the weather here in FL has been getting cooler, so we decided to go after 9 AM. The neighborhood is busier after 9AM since more people are awake. On the way back after a 2 hour ride, we were within 2 miles of our home when we passed a residence. The homeowners were outside and so was their lousy Pitbull. Sure enough, the Pitbull comes running out of the yard, crosses the street and tries to go after the 4 year old QH. The horse spooks, and my wife does everything to keep the young horse under control. I yell at the owners to get control of their dog. So, they stand there and try to call there dog back! I warn the owners that one good kick from the horse will kill their dog. Of course, they just stand there! The dog backs off, and lunges again. I turn my horse around and charge the dog. What's funny, is the TB went after the dog, reared up and dropped down right in front of the dog! (I didn't ask the horse to do that) The dog ran for his life!! And the owner's stood their with their mouths open. Luckily, my wife got control of her horse, and moved on... Meanwhile I stood guard for a couple of minutes to make sure that stupid dog would not attack again.

Overall, why are people so stupid! I am glad I was not bicycle riding with my children... Would they have stood there again if the dog attacked us whild riding bikes?

As you can tell, I am still upset with those idiots!

Joe

Re: Dog vs Horse

I'd say the dog was acting pretty much normal unless he is specially trained. The owners should learn a lesson and put the dog in a fenced in back yard. Seems like pitbulls do pretty much whatever they want, if they are allowed.
    Alan L. - Texas
    North of Mustang
    South of Bugtussle
    On the Banks of Buck Creek

To bad you missed. [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

The dog should be given to someone who cares, and the former owners need to be euthanized. [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Joe,

Sorry to hear about your experience. I am always upset when I see irresponsible dog owners. Especially ones with the more menacing breeds.

Hank, you've got the right idea [img]/forums/images/icons/tongue.gif[/img]
    Hazmat

Cambridge, New York in beautiful Washington County, next to Vermont

I agree with Hank, also!!!!
    Rich
    "What a long strange trip it's been."

I think some (not all) people own Pitbulls for a sort of ego trip... When the horse almost killed their dog (And maybe I shouldn't have missed [img]/forums/images/icons/wink.gif[/img]) , I think it hurt their ego. Numerous people do not realize how powerful horses can be, and a kick from a 1200 pound animal can be deadly. Moreover, the lack of responsiblity of the dog owner's is the real problem... I really don't blame the dog, but if I will do what is necessary to protect the family and horses...

Next time I won't miss! [img]/forums/images/icons/mad.gif[/img] Sadly, the dog will pay for the crimes of the owner's. Better yet, I will rope the owner's and drag them down the street! [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Joe

<font color="blue"> the lack of responsiblity of the dog owner's is the real problem </font color>

Where I have lived (Sniper County, MD), there is an interesting "leash law". It does not say your dog has to be on lead when off your property. It says your dog has to be "under your direct control".

If you can control your dog without a lead, that's fine. If you cannot control your dog even with a lead, that's against the law.

Roping and dragging down the street sound good for these jerks, unless you could find a freshly brush-hogged stubblefield [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Good job Joe we have had the problem with dogs but not just pitbulls all types we own dogs and are in a pen or on a leash when walked. a lot of people don't know how too act around horses we also have some problems with cars going too fast or too close too us. We would rather trailer them to a trail or the beach too ride i'm trying too cut a trail on property too ride their
    EDT

Heck ... it's not just in the 'burbs or chasing horses ..... I'm getting awful tired of the neighbor shreiking (literally) at her stupid dogs whenever I walk back from the house to the barn. I keep my dogs penned since their dogs will attack them, in my yard, if I have them with me (and mine are both trained to heel ... and be non-aggresive). Anyway, if they're out in the yard with her when I come walking by, they come racing over to defend their yard (heck, nobodies told them where "their" proeprty ends) and she commences to shreiking ... thinking they're going to attack me.
    So far, fortunately for them, they haven't hassled the horses in the pasture .... 'cause it would be lights out for doggies!
    Sure goes to show that a license doesn't prove ability!
    it's a shame that common sense isn't