Thread: The Trooper

The Trooper

I had the misfortune to smash my thumb ... pretty badly in fact. I know that there are people out there who have had broken limbs, horrific burns and even amputations. In the grand scheme of things a fracture, nine stitches and a dislodged thumbnail seem pretty paltry in comparison, but there was one underlying fact that made this injury special and unique; it happened to me.

The thing is, pain is relative. Everyone experiences it in their own way and has their own methods for dealing with it. I have a high threshold for pain, as long as I can avoid getting hurt. I've given birth three times without benefit of anesthesia, had a broken nose, broken finger and countless cuts, burns, scrapes and abrasions, so I'm not a stranger to discomfort. Frankly, I consider myself to be pretty brave, and despite the fact that this injury came about when I was well into the first day of a bad cold, and so was not only crippled, but sneezing, coughing and feverish, I think I came through it all like a trooper.

When I showed up for emergency care there were twenty people in line in front of me seeking treatment for anything from bronchitis to broken arms. I settled into the waiting room automatically diagnosing and dismissing the complaints of the other patients as trivial. Clearly I was the one in the most pain. It was obvious by my groans, grunts and sighs, which drew stares from even a ten-year-old boy. After what seemed an interminable wait I was called in to have my blood pressure taken, which was one fourteen over sixty, which the nurse reassured me was excellent.

"Well, that's surprising" I said, "considering I'm dying here." Ever the trooper. Enter tantrum number one.

The triage nurse not only diagnosed the extent of my injury as a "contusion" which sounded a lot less painless than it felt, but also nailed my current state of mind, as I found myself hustled into the relative quiet of an examination room with cheerful photos of the Tasmanian Devil and Bugs Bunny adorning the walls. In other words ... "if yer gonna act like a baby, we're gonna put you in the appropriate room."

In her defense I had already had one minor tantrum and was geared and ready for another. I settled in to wait, images of what was going to happen to my battered thumb dancing in my mind as Tas gazed down at me with maniacal glee. I tried to put my mind on other things but it kept returning predictably to my own pitiful state of affairs at the moment.

Lying down relaxed me and took my worries off my thumb, which was singing like a chubby Italian tenor at a bad opera, but due to my cold, clogged my head up like MoPac during rush hour. At which point I began to wallow deeply in self-pity and actually cried like a six-year-old. Which only served to further aggravate my already seriously congested sinuses. The doctor arrived, took one look at my damaged digit, tried not to look at my tear-streaked face, and prescribed stitches.

Introducing tantrum number two.

"Do we have to?" I whined.

"Well, I think it would be best."

"Can't you just wrap it up real good?" Squirming and begging unashamedly.

He laughed a bit and then sobered instantly when he realized I was dead serious.

"We're going to deaden it for you. You won't feel a thing."

And he was right. I didn't feel a thing after the gut-wrenching, toe-curling, exercise in exquisite torture that he referred to as a 'digit block' where a needle is inserted into the joint above the offending injury and a massive dose of miracle drug is pumped in.

Tantrum ... number ... three.

In case you've never had a digit block, pray that you never will, because even as effective as the pain relieving technique is, it is horribly painful. (Figure that one out.) I went home dragging a bandage roughly the size and shape of a Chiquita banana, that glowed in pristine white and shouted to the world that I had done battle with a door and emerged victorious ... kinda.

I spent the next twenty-fours hours alternately holding my hand above my head like the statue of liberty (to relieve the throbbing) and cradling the injured thumb against my chest protectively. I had my daughters waiting on me hand and foot, expressing condolences while I sniffled and reveled in their sympathies, not quite taking advantage of them, but certainly not discouraging their ministrations, either. I repaid them later with a surprise exhibition of the injury complete with a graphic demonstration of how the injury occurred and reminding them as any responsible parent does of the perils of not paying attention to where your fingers are at every given moment.

"This is what happens if you're not careful." I warned. "Now who's up to bringing me a pillow, a glass of orange juice and the remote control?"

Some seventy-two hours later, and with the help of some serious narcotics, and due to the fact that my cold had pretty much run it's course, I once again began to exhibit some semblance of my usual peppy personality. I even began showing off my stitches to any hapless individual who reluctantly agreed to look. Traded war stories with other poor unfortunates who had somehow managed to mangle their own fingers at one time or another.

Clearly in my time of distress my usual fortitude shined like a beacon of example for others who may find themselves so injured and through it all, I think I can safely say that I rose to the occasion like any mature American woman; very bravely and with the highest degree of self-control which proves conclusively what I have said all along. I have a very high threshold for pain ... as long as I avoid getting hurt. [img]/forums/images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

Re: The Trooper

Cindi, Welcome to the club of unintentional self mutilators. Curiously enough I just read a couple days ago in a recently arrived journal about a study on pain perception where it was shown that expectation of pain modulates severity of pain. Basically, if you think it is going to hurt like the dickens it will hurt more than for most folks not so "primed" and likewise if you expect less pain, you usually get less.

The study showed that the perception of pain has two main ingredients: 1. the pain signal sent by your nerves and 2. your expectation of pain. These two ingredients are processed in your brain where the result is what you "feel." I won't go into a lot of details but the study showed great insight into the placebo effect. I surmised a direct connection to hypnosis as relates to anesthesia.

[img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img] [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img] Pat [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img] [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
    "I'm not from your planet, monkey boy!"

Pat, well ... based on this new information I can only assume that I expected this boo-boo to really, really, really, really, hurt a lot. I was not disappointed in my expectations.

It's been a week now, though, so it's pretty well settled into random phantom aches.

Cindi, Without expectation there is no dissapointment.

[img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img] Pat [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
    "I'm not from your planet, monkey boy!"

Cindy, where are the pictures? Here's my attempt at digital amputation.

Here you go. As you can see, even Merle was a little distressed while looking at it. (smile)

Cindi,
    Yep, that one is pretty nasty. Hope it is healed up well now. Mine is pretty good - have all the feeling back now too. Once in a while it is a little touchy if it is cold out or if I get just the wrong pressure on it, but it sure beats the alternative. I'd just as soon not have to learn how to type without an index finger.

Larry

You write an excellent story, Cindi. [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Some years back, I opened the kitchen cabinet, to get out the cereal for one of the kids, just as I did most mornings. On this particular morning, when I did this, somehow, I picked up a huge splinter. It ran up underneath my thumbnail. When I say a "huge" splinter, I mean something the size of which most people would use for firewood.

I stood there, looking at the blood gushing from the gaping wound and I thought, in about 2 seconds, this is going to hurt like hell. My estimate of the timing was right on. As to the anticipation of the inevitable pain, let's just say, it would have killed a lesser man.