Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Homestead Names?

Re: Homestead Names?

Before we were married my wife had a little dog named Sunshine. This dog was her companion and best friend. Sunshine lived for 15 years until we finally had to put her down in 1985 - my wife still can get tears when that day rolls around each year.
    Sunshine is buried in our backyard - I'm not sure everyone may understand this, but her grave and headstone will be moved to our new property which will be called Sunshine Acres.
    Nick

My brother and sister-in-law (Paul & Elaine) have 20 acres down on the Gulf, near Mobile AL.

Theirs is Peony Farm (P and E, get it?) [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

We live in the middle of a stand of white pines, hence the name Sleepy Pines Farm.
    Argee [img]/forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

We have been trying to come up with a name for our property for a few months now, and nothing has really grabbed us (at least not both of us).

Our latest possibility is "Pudding Hill Farm". Any opinions? Be honest [img]/forums/images/icons/tongue.gif[/img] , wondering if it is too "cute" or not. Problem with the name is while no one hates its, not sure that any of us really love it....maybe I am spending too much brainwaves worrying about it and in the long run it doesn't really matter [img]/forums/images/icons/shocked.gif[/img]

I do want to get a sign up on the property soon to advertise the very few things that we are selling, but starting next year there should be a lot more going on and having the name of the farm/business etc established would be helpful....

BTW: The name comes from the childrens story series "Little Bear", but other than that has no special significance to us...i.e., we don't actually live on a hill called Pudding hill [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img] !

Yup! Too cute...
    Chris

Ditto. Too cute (but this comes from someone who had a business named Asylum). [img]/forums/images/icons/tongue.gif[/img]

Chevdog, we did the same thing when we moved last spring. Moved a dog and a cat and reburied them over looking one of the water falls on our new property.

We've been struggling with it also. We bought just 36 raw acres first and called it "the land." When we got the 25 acres adjoining, with house and barn, we started calling it "the farm," but we're searching for a "real" name. As far as we know, the creek that runs through has no name (not much of a creek), so that's out. There are a lot of sassafras trees, so we're thinking something like "Sassafras Valley", but not too sure about that yet. We'd like to get something relating to the area or a feature of the property.

re: the dogs. Even before we found the place, we knew we would take our babies with us when we left, so we had them cremated (three in the last three years, all very old, all still very painful). We're still searching for the perfect resting place for them, but they will always be with us.

Darel

<font color="purple"> Moved a dog and a cat and reburied them over looking one of the water falls on our new property. </font color>

Tim, we anguished over this when we just sold our MD house. We finally decided to leave our cat buried where she was, because that was the only home she knew, and so she would always be close to her home. I'm still not sure we were "right"; it's a tough call.

Here in Jawja, we'd call it Puddin' Hill, (or maybe Mountain, in the south!) but since it came from a book, we'll forgive ya. [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Post a pic and take a poll. I think the name "should be" of your own derivation, but, who knows, someone might toss out a keeper, or at least somthing that can be morphed into one.

FWIW: a long time ago, I somehow managed to come up with the name "Dobber" as a nickname for my dad. He responded by calling me Dobber as well. He became the Old Dobber, and I was the Lil' Dobber, just Dob between the 2 of us. Well, he left us a few years ago (RIP), so I just became "Dobber" (Dob). We called our place Dobber's Pond at first, but after putting in the garden, getting bees, goats, chickens &amp; ducks (horses soon!), we added the "Farmette". It's been a lot of fun, I just ordered postcards with the logo on front!

Perhaps you or your's has a nickname that could work in with the "Hill"?
    Dob
    FKA Dobber30052