Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Homestead Names?

Re: Homestead Names?

Hi Hank,

Our two girls were buried on a small lake lot in a garden area. If someone were to redo the gardens they could have disturbed the graves. It was and easy decision. Their new graves are in a grove of large oaks on the edge of a sixty foot drop to the stream below. There are three of the biggest rocks my tractor could push to the area that guard the graves. We will never have to move them again.

Tim

Thinking of a name, especially when it will be both a business name and place name is hard. There are a fair number of small scale farms doing direct marketing near me and the ones with memorable names seem to either reflect what they are selling (Elderberry Country Foods and Apple Shed for fruit farms) or make a statement of who they are (Peaceworks Organic Farm for a small truck farm and CSA).

You might want to do a search through a NOFA (Northeasten Organic Farming Association) directory to get an idea of other farm names or do some brainstorming - think of what you'll be selling, where you are, local history and just throw out some ideas with friends and family. Do it a few times and don't discuss each suggestion - let them sit and think on them for awhile.

I'm in the midst of a name quest also as we'll start selling some fruit from our place next year and need to get a good name. My kid's favorite - Stinky Pig Farm is a no-go and our other ideas are fairly pedestrian, so we're going to continue thinking for now.

>Stinky Pig Farm

I have to agreee with you on that...but then again it IS memorable [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

It is tough coming up with a name, and as you say, it is for a business and for the property, and you don't really want to change it later on, even though you could.

The most appropriate name for my place, given the soil/geographic conditions would be something like "Rocky Hill Farm", but that name (rocky hill) is pretty common. The other characteristic would be "Westview" farm (we can see about 40 miles to the west on a clear day), but ditto on westview being kind of common.

I'll keep searching and maybe post a few here for a reaction. I am lean ing towards thinking that "Pudding Hill Farm" or "Pudding Hill Organic Farm" maybe something I don't want to have painted on the side of my big ford F250 superduty [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img] (i.e. maybe too cute).

Then again, I was able to register "PuddingHill.com", so it isn't all that common I guess....

Just my opinion, but of the two, "Elbow Brook Farm" has a nice ring to it...

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
    Just my opinion, but of the two, "Elbow Brook Farm" has a nice ring to it...

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, we also agree [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Lindavid Acres was our first crack at it when we bought it, but Elbow Brook Farm does sound alot better.
    :: D A V E
    :: g a t o r b o y

<font color="purple"> Elbow Brook Farm does sound alot better </font color>

Yep, I agree. Not to mention ElbowBrook.com either [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Hank,

You have a type-o in your link --&gt; This should get you there: ElbowBrook.com
    :: D A V E
    :: g a t o r b o y

I live on Greening St..............."Green"ing Acres. [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

OK tell me about the dog in your bio picture.

tenebrous - That's my Newfoundland "Sam." All 165lbs of him. 100lbs of dog and 65lbs of hair and drool. [img]/forums/images/icons/smirk.gif[/img]