Thread: Sealing asphalt driveway

Sealing asphalt driveway

I just had my driveway asphalted. About 6 tenths of a mile 10 foot wide 2 1/2 to 3 inches deep. A sizeable investment, but I think worth it. I'm pretty sure I need to seal the driveway but I don't know when this needs to be done. I've heard you should wait up to a year before doing this but that was from a plummer. I've also heard sooner rather than later. I sure don't want to screw this up.
    Any help out there? [img]/forums/images/icons/confused.gif[/img]

Re: Sealing asphalt driveway

I just got mine done also, 9 days ago. Mine's only 175' long though, so I'm sure I didn't spend near as much as you did! My cost was $4000 and that included a parking area about 40'x20'. What did the pavers tell you about sealing it? Mine said to do it in about 3 months and they would charge about $275 (I don't remember the exact cost right now). My wife's parents got theirs paved several years ago and they were told to wait a year before sealing it the first time. Since then they've had it sealed every 2 years. It's still in real good shape. I was going to split the difference and get it done in the spring, but my neighbor said it would be a good idea to get it done before winter to keep the moisture out or it could freeze and cause cracking. The ground doesn't start to freeze around here until late Dec, so I think I'll try to get it done by mid Dec.

Re: Sealing asphalt driveway

Jimmo,

We had our 600 foot driveway paved in the spring and I was told by the folks that did it that the sealer wasn't at all necessary for at least a year or two. In fact they actually chuckled at me. I live out west however and we don't get really cold winters so perhaps in your climate it might be more prudent. Paving sure was a worthwhile investment IMHO. No more dust and driveway maintenance required. The only bad part was driveway maintenance was one of the reasons I purchased my tractor.
    TD