Thread: Oiling air tools

Oiling air tools

I recently bought my first real air tools, an impact wrench and air hammer. I'm trying to figure out whether or not to install an oiler in the air line or just oil the tools. They will get pretty occasional use. Any recommendations?

Re: Oiling air tools

It only takes a couple of seconds to oil them with the small container of oil. If you are just going to use them occasionaly, I would not go through the expense of the oiler. [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Thanks. What kind of oil do I need? The impact wrench calls for some Ingersoll-Rand oil (of course) and I bet I can't find that easily...

I use air wrench occasionally and I just put 2-3 drops of the air tool oil in the wrench air inlet. Works for me.

Anyplace that will sell air tools will have bottles of the oil, it is quite reasonable, I do not think that brand name would make a differance, I usually buy whatever is there. It will specify on the bottle that it is for air tools. [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Just oil the tools. Oilers contaminate your air hoses for painting. 2-3 drops in the inlet should last all day for most mechanic work, at least till lunchtime for very heavy use. I use marvel air tool oil, mostly because I can get it in a great big can. Works pretty good as a tapping oil too.

I agreee with the others...I usually put a couple of drops in the tool before I use them, and a couple drops when I am done before I wipe them off and put them away...that way the compressor itself I can still use the air to inflate tires, and clean-off other equipment without spoiling the line with oil residue.

Good luck

EJB is right on, but I will repeat his point " oil the tool when your done".

Wow [img]/forums/images/icons/shocked.gif[/img] its unanimous - I'll just buy a bottle of oil. Thanks to everyone.

-david