Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Tires for Yukon XL (Suburban)

Tires for Yukon XL (Suburban)

After only about 25K miles, the tires on our 4 X 4 are making noise. The reason is that I waited until 15K to rotate, which is a no-no with these trucks. The tires were already starting to make noise at the time. Rotating helped some, but now its getting louder again.

Anyway, while the tires look OK, the noise is annoying and I want to change these tires out. I'd like to get some recommendations for replacement tires. The tires on the vehicle are Firestone Wilderness LE P265/70R16. The tread is strictly highway, sort of a sideways "W" pattern. I really like the truck, but have never liked the looks of these tires.

I'm partial to Michelin, but I want a tire that looks sort of "trucky" but has car-like ride and handling characteristics, plus is a quiet tire.

Any recommendations?
    Alan L. - Texas
    North of Mustang
    South of Bugtussle
    On the Banks of Buck Creek

Re: Tires for Yukon XL (Suburban)

I just recently got new tires for my Chevy K3500 Crew Cab. I too never liked the original tires, but waited until I got my use out of those until buying new ones.

After seeing some of the prices of the All-Terrain tires I ended up getting some LAREDO® AWT tires at BJ's Wholesale. The truck rides better than I thought they would, and looks so much better.

Here are two pictures of the truck with the tires right after I got home (not washed yet):

Photo 1 | Photo 2

:: D A V E
    :: g a t o r b o y

Alan,

Check out TireRack They are good about reviewing tires etc. Even if you don't buy from them, good source of info. They often "partner" with a local place to do the install for you.

We've bought several snow tires from them over the years. Also they were able to find a previous model year tire when I got a flat on a highway with NO breakdown lane (got to love Mass) & had to drive it to an off ramp. Ruined the tire. I wanted to match the others as they only had a couple thousand miles on them.

My two cars before my truck had michelins. Can't say enough good things about them. My mom's tahoo has BF Goodrich long trails. Nice ride, quiet. Not very rugged looking. A buddy's truck has the BF goodrich all terrains. Bad ride, LOUD, very RUGGED looking. It is always a comprimise.
    Hazmat

Those are nice looking tires. The tread looks fairly aggressive. Do they make any noise to speak of?
    Alan L. - Texas
    North of Mustang
    South of Bugtussle

This is what shocked me -- it runs quieter than the tires that I had on it originally (Highway tires). Now, it could be that the original tires at the time I had them replaced were not as quiet as when I bought them, but I am extremely happy with the lack of noise, as well as the feeling of the truck feeling more solid.

<font color="purple"> Here are two pictures </font color>

Dave, what is that interesting looking ornament/welcome sign. It's backwards in the corner of the picture. A bumble bee on it? and what else?

Haxmat - thanks for the Tirerack link. I looked around in there and it looks like Michelin LTX or Cross Terrains might be the way to go. The CTs have great reviews, but boy are they pricey!
    Alan L. - Texas
    North of Mustang
    South of Bugtussle

It's backwards because I am standing behind it -- but it says Welcome with a bumble bee on it. The straight bar below the Welcome holds those flags (Halloween, Easter, Flag, etc.)

There was no flag on it at that time. [img]/forums/images/icons/shocked.gif[/img]

I ran a set of Michelin LTX A/T tires on my Suburban. They had over 30k miles on them when I sold it and looked as though they would never wear out. They were very quiet and smooth on the road, with plenty of bite for general off-roading. I would buy them now for my Excursion, but they aren't offered in the right combo of size &amp; load rating for my needs. I have BFG T/A ko on my 4Runner and have been very pleased with them. I may try them on the Excursion.
    Terry

I strongly support the recommendation for The Tire Rack. I have bought several sets of tires from them and have been very pleased with the entire transaction.

As for your tire needs... I recommend the Dunlop Rover AT. I have them on my Ford Excursion and I am very pleased. They have a tread pattern that will work well in the snow, yet are not too noisey on the highway.