Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Tires for Yukon XL (Suburban)

Re: Tires for Yukon XL (Suburban)

I bought a set of tires and rims from Tire Rack -- tires on the rims arrived at my door in a couple days. Very cool and got a great deal!

Remember, if you order just tires, you will need to find someone to take off your old tires and put on the new ones. Some places charge quite a bit if they are tires you did not buy from their store. I would advise you to find out where and for how much it will cost you before deciding on a Tire Rack purchase for tires alone.
    :: D A V E
    :: g a t o r b o y

The stock tires on my1 ton PU were real ragged in 10K miles. I'm running Michelin mud and snow now as a compromise between highway tread quiet but low offroadability and aggressive off road poor riding and short life. They sing a bit on the interstate with volume dependent on road surface. They are smooth riding considering their strength and the vehicle. I have over 50,000 miles on them and still have over 2/3 of the tread left. I'm waiting to see what happens first; will they wear out or rot off? They are 7.45 width 70 profile 19.5 inch. They are the kind of tires that the brown two ton trucks use (UPS). Not cheap but the tires are clearly stronger than the axles (4500 lbs per tire with 4 in the back and two in the front on rims rated at 6600 lbs each so I don't worry so much about my tires when carrying a large camper and towing my due buggy while keeping up with most of the traffic on the interstate.

Patrick
    "I'm not from your planet, monkey boy!"

I'm on my second set of BF Goodrich All Terrain T/A's on my 4x4 Suburban and when these wear out I'll buy another set! They're great in snow and ice, mud, and the street, wet or dry. I don't know what you consider noisy, but these don't make any noise to bother me. You're not going to get tires that provide great traction without a little noise.

The only tire I would buy besides these are the BF Goodrich Mud Terrain T/A's, but they will make some noise and are for serious off roaders and/or for looks. I'm hoping to get a set for my Jeep CJ-5.

How many miles do you get out of a set on your Suburban? The Excursion is alot heavier and may wear them out sooner, but I really like these tires and need to replace the Steeltex tires on my Excursion soon.
    Thanks,
    Terry

My 97 Suburban got 50K out of the Steeltex tires. The Firestones that came on the 01 Suburban started making noise at 15K, and I finally replaced them at 25K with Michelin Cross Terrains. So far I'm pleased with the new tires.

I think the tires that came on the new truck were sorry, plus, I didn't rotate them.
    Alan L. - Texas
    North of Mustang
    South of Bugtussle
    On the Banks of Buck Creek

Terry - "How many miles do you get out of a set on your Suburban?" I'll have to get back with you on that one. I'll look it up when I get home tonight. On the first set, the fronts wore out quicker than the rears because the front end was out of alignment. The first set was not the new improved "KO" version. I got it aligned before I put the new ones on last time, about a year and a half ago. The new ones are the new "KO" version and are supposed to last longer. I'll look up the mileage I got on the first ones and what I've got so far on the new ones, which still look new even after a year and half. What does the Excursion weigh? My Suburban weighs 5700lbs.

<font color="blue"> Some places charge quite a bit if they are tires you did not buy from their store. I would advise you to find out where and for how much it will cost you before deciding on a Tire Rack purchase for tires alone. </font color>

If I remember correctly, the tire rack has set up a "partner" system. basically they ship the tire to a shop nearby &amp; the shop puts it on for you. In any case it pays to shop around. The tire rack isn't always the cheapest way to go.

A buddy at work has the Michelin LTX on his Explorer. He is very happy with them.
    Hazmat

Michelin...

I have the stock Michelin LTX on my Dodge. 25k miles with good tread left. They are pretty wimpy on a 4wd, but do handle the road and a load very well. When I get new tires, I will give up some quiet for better traction. Probably still go michelin though...

We ran XGTV's on our IROC Camaro. Those tires stuck to the road, but wore much better than any performance tire I had used(Goodyear and BFG).

We have Michelins on the Jag right now; they are MUCH better than the stock Pirrelli's.

I will say though, on my last truck I had great luck with Big-O Bigfoot XT's. They rode rough, as a E load tire. But, the traction was pretty good, and they were quiet. I went with them specifically because they had stiffer sidewalls than my second choice BFG's(better handling with a camper).

The Excursion full of fuel (44 gallons diesel), very little cargo, and myself (190 lbs), CAT scales - 8,060 lbs! Great traction in snow as the balance is almost exactly 50/50 front/rear plus the shear weight of the rig and 4WD.
    I have 34k miles on the original Firestone tires and could get a few more thousand out of them, but I'm not fond of shallow tread in water or snow!

Terry

Terry - I couldn't find the mileage I got on the first set, but I'll keep looking (I'm curious now too and I know I have it written down somewhere). The second set have 26k miles on them now and have 11/32" of tread left (they had 1/2" when new). The first set was the 33x9.5x15 size which was a little narrower than I wanted, but I didn't want to get the 12.5 wide ones. They came out with the 33x10.5x15 size 2 years ago, so I got those and they're perfect for a Suburban. I don't know what size wheels an Excursion has, but I'm sure they will have a size you need.

PS: I found the best price on these at Sears. They beat out everyone including Big-O Tire and Discount Tire.