Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Nature Photography

Re: Nature Photography

Can anyone tell me how to post a picture that is over 150k?

Possibly crop and resize it. 640 x 480 pixcels seems to work.

Egon

Do you have Photoshop or Paint Shop Pro? Save the image using more compression. It will reduce the filesize without shrinking the image dimensions. Digital Photos for use on websites do not need the high dpi number that is needed for printing photos.
    :: D A V E
    :: g a t o r b o y

Well, you can't post one that big.

But as Gaterboy says, you can resize it or use more JPG compression to make the file smaller. JPG compression of 30% will make a reasonable small file with little decrease in picture quality.

Another good program to resize and/or change compression is irfanView. It's a free download.
    Gary
    ----------------------------------------------
    Hey! Aren't you supposed to be working?

It isn't the most convenient method but you can chop a large high res picture into smaller pieces and post the pieces. Then the recipient reassembles the original from the pieces using any of several applications. A good one for free as already mentioned above is IrfanView available free from IrfanView.com Irfan Skiljan is one technosavy dude and has done us a great service.

In IrfanView simply click on the drop down menu bar selection "Image" and then select "Create Panorama Image" which lets you join images from vertical or horizontal components.

All compression methods used to seriously reduce file size "LOSE" quality. For most purposes on this forum, 150K is enough. It isn't likely anyone will want to make a poster size from a posted picture and if they insist you can negotiate regarding sending the full res file to them by other means such as email or...

Although the technology to put the pieces toghther again is readily available this is not likely a good choice of forums for this activity.

Post some pix of 150K or less and see how many demands there are for higher resolution. A small dose of reality is far more important than any speculation.

[img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img] Pat [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
    "I'm not from your planet, monkey boy!"

We got a nice digital camera for Christmas, and I'm slowly figuring it out. I'm kind of old-fashioned, though, and prefer the old Canon AE-1 SLR. I'm hoping someone can help me out with night sky photo advice. It's been 20 years since I've tried anything, but I'm itching to get a shot of the Northern Lights. I've got a tripod, and would probably be using my Canon 70-230. Any ideas on shutter speeds, apertures, etc? This is my newest goal for the winter, as we've been having some fabulous light shows up here this year. Thanks.

After your northern lights session you might not be quite so pleased with your digital. There is a conflict of tradeoffs. If you expose long enough to "gather enough light" and the subject moves as the aurora often does, you'll get a blured image that won't look like it did to your eye. Still, you might get something acceptable if somewhat surreal.

On the other hand if you cut the exposure time down to "stop" the motion, you will likely not get enough light for a good exposure.

To do it really well you need a lense at least as fast as f 2.8 but preferably faster and an equivalent ASA speed of at least 800 (more is better).

It is cheap to try, just go wide open (max aperture) at the highest ASA and see what you can get bracketing with shutter speed. Most likely you'd do better with a fixed lense rather than a zoom since most zooms are a compromise and are slower, say f4 vice 2.8 or better.

Good luck and share any results with us,

[img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img] Pat [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
    "I'm not from your planet, monkey boy!"

Kilt, I am an avid outdoor photographer, serious amateur and build my portfolio. My hope is to one day do a book or submit to a stock agency. I have yet to submit any pic to a magizine, but have sold some locally. The bast site I have found to help in you endever is Photosig.com. You'll have to register, but once there they have more traffic than any site, and people critique your pictues, in turn they eran points next to their name. In turn you earn points based on the critique rating and how many people critique your photos. Its very helpful as strangers as more apt to be less bias than say...your wife, mom, uncle,and neighbors. You'll learn allot, and people fromall over the globe will see your art. They also have a place where you store your pics, your onw online portfolio. Its free but the free membership limits how many you can submit in a certian amount of time, if you pay you can post more. Good luck, when there look for tjperry, its my portfolio.