Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Pre-Finished Hardwood Floors 101

Re: Pre-Finished Harwood Floors 101

<font color="blue"> They solve the flatness problem with a micro bevel on the top edges </font color>

Aha, an old idea refined for a new purpose. Very cool.

One old-fashioned type of T&amp;G was "T&amp;G v-joint", but the bevel was fairly significant (1/4" or so). You could never use this for flooring because it would be a natural dirt trap, but it's used for walls and other surfaces.

After having to remove the trim in my house so that it could be stripped and refinished, I'd have to say an emphatic "no" to butting the floor up against the baseboards. Also, I think it would make wall refinishing more difficult should you ever choose to do so (masking instead of removing).

<font color="blue"> emphatic "no" to butting the floor up against the baseboards </font color>

Something I did not think or earlier, either, is that butting the 3/4" thick flooring up to the baseboard will make the baseboard appear to be 3/4" shorter. If you've only got 4" baseboard to begin with, it'll now be 3 1/4", and could destroy the proportion of it.

<font color="blue">I think for your case it may be necessary to trim the door casing to get the hardwood underneath the casing. Set a jamb saw on a piece of scrap flooring to guide how much casing to cut off. </font color>

hmm, I don't have a jamb saw (yet). I did a little research on the web just now. I think a hand saw fits the budget nicely. Any recommendations?

Why is <font color="blue"> Blue </font color> the prefered quote color? [img]/forums/images/icons/tongue.gif[/img]
    Hazmat

<font color="blue"> jamb saw </font color>

Never heard of such, but there's a lot I don't know. I would think a backsaw, guided by a block of wood, would work very well for this. Backsaws are very handy for making controlled straight-line cuts in any situation. The regular hand saw tends to flex too much. Always good to have a backsaw in your tool chest, and another reason for acquiring more useful tools [img]/forums/images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

<font color="brown"> Why is Blue the prefered quote color </font color>

Dunno. I've just sort of been following the "accepted practice". Anything to set off the quoted text is all that's needed. [img]/forums/images/icons/crazy.gif[/img]

<font color="blue">Never heard of such, but there's a lot I don't know. I would think a backsaw, guided by a block of wood, would work very well for this. Backsaws are very handy for making controlled straight-line cuts in any situation. The regular hand saw tends to flex too much. Always good to have a backsaw in your tool chest, and another reason for acquiring more useful tools </font color>

I've also seen it called an undercut saw. They have an offset handle to prevent knucklebusting. I don't know what a backsaw is (I assume it cuts on a backstroke vs. pull stroke)

See attached for a jamb/undercut saw.
    Hazmat

<font color="purple"> See attached for a jamb/undercut saw </font color>

OK, I've seen those, just never heard the term jamb saw.

A backsaw is a very fine tooth crosscut saw, usually with a wide blade (though there are narrow ones, too), and with a metal reinforcing band across the back (top) of the blade. The reinforcing band keeps the blade from flexing, thereby allowing the blade to make precise, straight cuts.

Anymore, they are used mostly in hand cut miter boxes. Traditionally, they were used for cutting hand-cut dovetail joints, where a precise straight line cut was important because we are talking about furniture joinery there.

Attached is a pic.

<font color="purple"> I assume it cuts on a backstroke vs. pull stroke </font color>

Japanese hand saws cut on the opposite stroke to Western saws. Some people find them easier to use.

Re: Pre-Finished Hardwood Floors 101

<font color="blue">A backsaw is a very fine tooth crosscut saw, usually with a wide blade (though there are narrow ones, too), and with a metal reinforcing band across the back (top) of the blade. The reinforcing band keeps the blade from flexing, thereby allowing the blade to make precise, straight cuts.
    </font color>

I never knew that's what they were called. I've even used one of them before [img]/forums/images/icons/blush.gif[/img]

Just now realized I have a typo in the subject of this thread [img]/forums/images/icons/blush.gif[/img] [img]/forums/images/icons/blush.gif[/img]
    Hazmat