Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: More tool talk: Sanders

More tool talk: Sanders

I have two pnuematic sanders: A 6" Dual Action (random orbit) and a flat jitterbug. They do a good job sanding, but no dust collection [img]/forums/images/icons/frown.gif[/img] and my "homeowner" compressor can't keep up on the big jobs [img]/forums/images/icons/mad.gif[/img]

Since a new compressor is a ways off, I'm thinking about an electric model (5" random orbit)

Primary uses, sanding trim, doors & walls (where I've had to patch a hole or crack) in preperation for painting.

Future uses: woodworking prepping for stain?

Main criteria for selection:
    Ease of attaching sandpaper
    Dust collection (want to be able to hook it up to a vacuum)

Questions:
    1. Like/Dislike Velcro attachment?
    2. Do I really want to hook up the vacuum or is a dust bag enough?
    3. Will I use variable speed, or just go full out all the time?
    4. What size Orbit / offset? I've seen from 1/16 to 5/32
    5. Is a 1/4 or 1/2 sheet rectangular finish sander a better choice?

I've been eyeing the Bosch 1295DK the Dewalt DW421 and the Makita B05010
    Hazmat

Re: More tool talk: Sanders

I have several electric sanders, none of which are hooked to a dust collector. Dust bag seems to work well and there is no hose to be concerned with.

Can't remember the model numbers but here's a list:

Porter Cable random orbit with round perferated platen. Uses velcro. Easy to remove and replace paper.

Dewalt orbital 1/4 sheet size rectangular platen. Uses clamps for the paper wich is a pain, but the shape allows better access to inside corners.

Bosch random orbit round platen. Velcro attachment of paper, unfortunatly not the same hole pattern as the Porter Cable unit.
    Gary
    ----------------------------------------------
    Hey! Aren't you supposed to be working?

I have the Porter-Cable 6" random orbit sander, model # 7336, with the hook and loop backing system. This sander came with a dust hood and hose and will hook up to a 2 1/2" shop vac hose. This sander really puts out the dust so the hose setup to a vac or dust collector is worth its weight in lung tissue. The bag is simply not as efficient!
    This is an excellant sander and you will find that with the right grit, it will almost replace all of your other sanders. The hook and loop system is wonderful. I hesitated on that system at first, but now that I have it you would have to fight me to get it away from me. The variable speed is handy for softer woods along with a smaller grit paper. It is not essential but really handy. I can't tell you what the orbit or offset is on this sander, but in my humble opinion I don't think it is that big of an issue. As far as the 1/4 or 1/2 sheet sander I have both and they are not as efficient as the orbital, they are basically dust collectors (pun intended) [img]/forums/images/icons/tongue.gif[/img]. One last thing to wrap up this lengthy reply, for good industial quality sand paper I go to Klingspor's Woodworking shop ( www.woodworkingshop.com ). You can request their catalog or shop online. They have super quality and I have not found better prices for the sandpaper that they sell! Hope this helps.

Forgot to mention the Porter Cable 333VS
    Hazmat

MRB,

The 7336 sounds like a great machine. But at 5.75# I'm a little worried that I won't be able to put the wife to work with it [img]/forums/images/icons/frown.gif[/img] She is an active participant in the home remodeling.

The woman insists on knowing how to use all the power tools we own. Which I think is pretty cool [img]/forums/images/icons/cool.gif[/img] . The only one I've refused her is the chainsaw. I just couldn't live with myself if she injured herself. [img]/forums/images/icons/crazy.gif[/img]
    Hazmat

I have the model before this one. Very nice machine! It's easy to hold on to and manuver. I think the little dust can catches more dust but it could just be me. An interesting feature is that the disk has sort of a governer on it so it doesn't radically speed up if one lifts it off the piece and sets it back down. This reduces the chance of scuffing the sanded surface.
    In short, I like it.

I have several, from a palm sander and up. Porter Cable makes one of the best fitting palm sanders for me. DeWalt is fine also. Have you and your wife "test drive" the different models if possible. Sometimes you can do this at WW shows. I usually go with adhesive paper since I'll have different sanders with different grits. Pros- cheaper on paper; more versatile. Cons - initial expense higher. Paper left on the sander for some time can be difficult to remove easily. The paper must also be protected (stored) from dust & light so the adhesive remains good. My 5" random orbit and my palm are used the most. Haven't compared the different models with different orbit offsets. I typically use full speed on the sanders. I scrape or hand sand in critical areas. Dust bags really don't work very well IMO. In the house, I hook up a Fein dust collector. These are excellent for interior work. If you are sanding large, flat, horizontal areas a lot then the 1/2 sheet sanders are good. Otherwise they get heavy quick.

Scott,

Which brand do you have? It's not clear from your post.

Thanks.
    Hazmat

HazMat,

I have several sanders (all electric) and use them extensively. I do alot of antique restoration with them. The two that I have found to work the best are the dewalt orbitals. Unlike square palm type sanders (I have several of these as well) they do not tend to leave the small swirls. Since I purchased the orbitals I haven't used the palm sanders. I can't remember the model number but the are relatively quiet, work really well (velcro sandpaper) and I have been able to hook my shop vac up to them so no dust problem at all. If you are going to be sanding smaller pieces you could easily make a dust table that hooks up to your shop vac or dust collection system. These work very well but in my case I'm usually sanding much larger items. Have fun - I've found sanding to be a somewhat tedious (albeit necessary) chore now.
    TD

Sorry, brain fade.
    I have the older version of the 333VS Porter Cable. Mine doesn't have the variable speed. I never really missed it till I got an air powered DA.