Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: planting grass in the late fall

planting grass in the late fall

The answer to this question will depend on location, so for southern Indiana and similar climates, how late in the year can I plant grass? I usually mow grass here for the last time in early Dec and we don't get steady temps below freezing until mid to late Dec. I've been told it's better to plant grass in the fall so it can get better established before the hot summer.

Re: planting grass in the late fall

<font color="blue"> I usually mow grass here for the last time in early Dec </font color>

You should be good anytime in October. You want the grass to grow before it freezes. The fall IS the best time to plant. It allows the grass roots to get well established before the summer drought. Also less competition from weeds.
    Hazmat

I just bought 150 pounds of Perennial Ryegrass and spread it out over all of the areas I cleared out wild florarose bushes in my woods this past summer. To top it off, it is RAINING here today, and is supposed to continue for the next 2 days.

I am hoping the ryegrass will choke out most of the weeds that have been coming up since I have done this mass clearing. It will be a relatively cheap experiment, I'll know for sure the results come next July/August.
    :: D A V E
    :: g a t o r b o y

Thanks for the quick responses. Oops, I just noticed I posted in the wrong place, I meant to post this under landscaping. Sorry about that. Is there any way to move this thread?

Down here in Texas we can plant Ryegrass right now (I just planted 500 pounds), but the most common turf grasses go dormant in cool weather so its really too late to plant them now. The ryegrass burns up in the summer, so its really just a cool season cover around here.
    Alan L. - Texas
    North of Mustang
    South of Bugtussle
    On the Banks of Buck Creek

You must have planted annual ryegrass rather than perennial ryegrass. Annual ryegrass dies around July-August timeframe and has to be replanted each year.

Yes, it was annual. Perennial ryegrass burns up in the summer but will come back. So you have to have a warm season grass for the summer (like bermuda) or brown dormant ryegrass. I plant annual because I plow it in in the spring. Plus its a lot cheaper (should be, since it will not come back unless you allow it to seed).
    Alan L. - Texas
    North of Mustang
    South of Bugtussle
    On the Banks of Buck Creek

We planted 250# of grass last week (175 perenial mix &amp; 75# annaul rye) &amp; we have had green sprouts showing more &amp; more over the past 48 hours... [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
    It's been in the 40's at night, but it is still germinating...
    Hopefully it will come in thick after the winter [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

I am waiting patiently to see my little green sprouts [img]/forums/images/icons/cool.gif[/img]

I do see now though that my member status has changed to <font color="#666666">SILVER!</font color> [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

That should make it grow... [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img]
    (silver status)
    Does Florida or FSU play Miami this week?
    Good luck to whichever it is...