Thread: 20" Craftsman Chainsaw - $199

20\" Craftsman Chainsaw - $199

Looking at the picture in the circular it looks just like my Stihl 029 in black & grey. Heck of a deal if so. My only complaint with mine after 4 years is a hard start when cold and a wimpy .325 guage chain. I upgraded to 3/8 guage in 18" and 28" lengths and it pulls the 28" with gusto. I highly recommend the pricey carbide tip full chisel chains. I feel a sharp cutter is much safer than any anti-kickback design gizmo. These chains cut such large chunks so fast you can clog the sawdust ejection chute in pine and they stay sharp alot longer. I digress, I still wish I'd bought the 036 PRO model but for $199 the Craftsman looks like a bargain.

Re: 20\" Craftsman Chainsaw - $199

Where does one get the carbide chains you speak of? That sounds like the ticket for my Stihl 026.

Stihl, Oregon, Windsor.. they all make carbide chains. I could never sharpen the original "green" chain where it would make any better but fine sawdust. Stihls "yellow" chain is a non-carbide full chisel that cuts great and but won't stay sharp as long as the "red" carbide chains. One of the links on your chain is probably green, if so you need to go shopping. I paid about $150 for a 25' roll of "red" which made two 28" loops and three 18" loops. You'll be very pleased with the performance boost.

AH yes. I have a "green chain"... looks like a trip to the store is in order...

or you could try this link to Bailey's which specializes in all sorts of neat logging and arborist stuff. I've had pretty good luck with them. I upgraded the bar and chain on my Stihl 029 to a narrow kerf 20" and it cuts fantastic.
    Fishman

Fishman, thanks for the link, looks interesting....

Fishman, LazyJ, with the upgraded chain, should I downsize my bar? My Stihl 026 has an 18" bar, Should I go back to the factory offered 16" or will it make much difference in power?
    I like the 18" as I don't have to stoop quite as much when limbing, etc...

The factory advocates a max of 24" on the 026 & 029. Since the 026 is rated with more power than the 029 and I occasionally run a 28" on my 029 you'll have no problems. Please remember these performance chains don't have anti-kickback qualities and kickback accidents usually occur when limbing and cutting up tangled tops.