Thread: Hardwood flooring over concrete

Hardwood flooring over concrete

I want to install hardwood floors over concrete in out lower level. The area is dry but I do have to run a dehumidifier in the summer to keep the humidity down. It is new construction and there is a good vapor barrier under the concrete floor.

I have installed all sorts of wood flooring before but putting it down over concrete is a new adventure.

Re: Hardwood flooring over concrete

From Nofma You should use Laminate below grade (basement) Otherwise see link for prep instructions.
    Hazmat

<font color="blue">You should use Laminate below grade </font color>

Thank you for the link. Doesn't look like it would be a good idea to put down a maple floor in this situation. I have access to some salvaged maple and hoped that I could use it in my office.

We used bamboo for the floors on the main level and that may be a solution. It is a laminate and is really tough stuff. It is a full 5/8 and goes down very well.

tenebrous,

I have put down 5" southern yellow pine in my garage office over concrete and it works well.

Here's what I did.

- nail 2x4 PT sleepers on the floor 16" spacing (so about 12" between them laying flat)
    - fill spaces between with 1 1/2" styrofoam or insulating board
    - lay down red rosin paper or building felt
    - install 3/4" flooring nailing to sleepers

You can add a 1/2" plywood on top of the sleepers but is not usually necessary. This method also allowed me to use up 2000 1 1/2" flooring nails I had leftover from the house. [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Carl

Sounds like a very good solution but I would end up with a step up going into the office. The hall is going to be ceramic tile. The step up would be better than a failed floor system. I guess I will have to compromise some place. [img]/forums/images/icons/confused.gif[/img]

Also 3/4" or 1" PT decking material would work too and minimize the step. You could taper the flooring in the entrance (assuming you have a door) across the threshold creating not a step but a slope.

This might cause more problems than a step since it's not visible.

We have these cases in our house since we remodeled and the tile bath floor is 3/4" lower than the oak. This is not a problem and no one slips or trips at this point.

Carl